Werner Driver with a ??

Discussion in 'Werner' started by truckingirl92, Mar 10, 2014.

1. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Very true,trainers should be teaching the hos to their trainees.Sometimes I wonder if trainers even know the hos.Before new drivers get their own trk,they should be tested on all the important stuff.Companies have to know many of the trainers don't train like they should,Students quitting or requesting a new trainer should prove that.

DriveItUSA Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    Pattj.. we are tested on it before being assigned a tuck.. also, if a werner has questions they can go to Werner website and driver log in.. there they can find numerous computer based courses on logging, pre trip, trip planning, winter fuel and additives, winter driving, and many, many more... I have found very helpful and useful information on our werner website...
    Also, they went over logging and qualcom in orientation...

Now, the thing is, in tbe computer courses and orientation they stress log it lime you do it.. but many drivers want to save minutes on their 14/70 hour clock and do so by logging "off duty" when they are doing things like backing into the dock, drooping or hooking up to a trailer....

A lot of drivers log "on duty. Pre trip" and do not do a pre trip.. they go inside the truck stop and grab junk food for the road... or, they just sit in the truck and wait for the 15 minutes to be up... I think that js more common, that drivers log pre trip and dont do one than it is for them to do one and not log it..

One thing the OP may want to keep in mind or consider is that werner can audit a drivers logs at any time.. and they would when it comes time for a review and pay raise... so again what minutes and pennies you are gaining now.. may hurt you and cost you down the road...

pattyj and DriveItUSA Thank this.
  4. pattyj

pattyj Road Train Member

Jul 19, 2008
    Sioux City,ia
    Yes Werner does have useful information.Unfortunately you're one of the few that actually takes advantage of it just like pretripping your cycle before you ride it.Pretrip.is only a suggestion to many.Thy log it because its the law but that doesn't mean they pretrip..

DriveItUSA Thanks this.
  5. BrenYoda883

BrenYoda883 Road Train Member

Sep 18, 2013
    That is very true Pattyj... the optimistic side of me wants to nelieve that witb the warmer temperaturs more drivers will e doing their pretrips.. but, the realistic side knows that even in perfect weather many drivers still wont to a pre trip... and as you stated, a company can offer many resources to their drivers, but tbe driver still has to take the initiative...

I had two trainers, tne first was not good and certainly not the kind of driver I want to be.. was lazy and neglected to ddo pre trips and things.. my second trainer was awesome and the type of driver I strive to be.. and he did pre trips, even checked things enroute, and did a post trip...

Which, with werner you log a post tril by sending a mac 46.. but, some drivers like myself, do get out and do a walk around... I discovered a trailer tire that the tread was getting reaady go bail... had an alligator making an escape... anyway, , sent my mac 24 for road side, had ittook them about 6 hours to get there... but, was no biggie as I was on my 10 hour resetand sleeping... now, had I not done a post trip I would off found it on my pre trip.. but been delayed hours... if I was one of those that dont pre trip then I would of been on the side of the I interstate wainting for road side... so again minutes saved can end up costing you hours...
    But no matter how many valid reasons there are to do your post and pre trips, and the fact that it is the law... a driver is either going to do them or not..

6. marnav1

marnav1 Bobtail Member

Jul 26, 2012
    I logged a pre-trip every day when i was there ....... I got a couple warnings on the 46 though, took some time to remember it every day.

DriveItUSA Thanks this.
  7. AllBidness

AllBidness Bobtail Member

Oct 22, 2013
    Dallas, GA
    What will really help you is to either look up truck stops in the area where you need to stop. I use "The Trucker's Friend" national truck stop directory. Always get the current one. A lot of the truck stops I used to go to are gone. You need current information, because if it's been closed off, you may not have anywhere to turn around at! Or, use a smartphone. Then you can get an idea of where you need to stop. Plan to take a restroom break two hours before your time is gone... NO LATER! Look up a couple places, because the first you physically go to may be full. You have to plan your trips. Iam telling you from experience.... The logs Nazis at Werner will be all over you like white on rice if you run too long. Especially being a woman, trust me, safety is in numbers. Don't park in places alone if you can avoid it. Also, put the deadbolt on your shower door. If it doesn't lock, ask for one that does. Can't tell you how many times somebody was trying to bust in on me in the shower, but I deadbolted the door. Stay safe, Werner sister.:biggrin_255:

8. freightlinerman

freightlinerman Road Train Member

Mar 4, 2011
    Florida
    15 minutes for a pretrip, 5 minutes for a post trip. You need to relax, you're going to give yourself a stroke working like you're doing. Drive drive drive, I can't log 15 minutes as I will lose time. Do you know why? If you have a 1,100 mile trip, it will take you two days to do it. By the time you deliver it, you're only going to have a few hours left, you wont have time to get to the shipper in most cases and wait for it and then get to the truck stop to find a place to park for the night. Running hardcore like you do, you might make a little extra money. I do fine, I don't like to sit, I don't waste money, but I log everything. I log pre and post trip, delivery and pick ups, fueling, scaling, getting pulled into the scale when they ask for my paper work. If you log off duty or sleeper birth, that is FALSIFICATION of log when you're on duty and not driving. You must log something. You are ON DUTY if you are doing a pretrip or a post trip. You are not off duty or sleeper birth, so if you tell a DOT officer you did a pre trip and its not logged, well then your logs are falsified and expect some citations. I hope this explains it to you.

I don't know how you can wait till the last 5-10 minutes before stopping. Very few times has that ever happened. I might be a couple hours from my 11 hour ending, I look in my truck stop guide and see I'm 120 miles from a Loves. WEll, I know I have 2:15 minutes of drive time remaining, and if I do 60 mph with no interruptions, I can make it there, park, post trip and go into sleeper birth. I'm just baffled at your luck.

DriveItUSA Thanks this.
  9. casc1

casc1 Light Load Member

Nov 22, 2011
    toronto
    your pre-trip should take 10-15 mins if you are thorough. 5 mins if you just do the safety stuff that a DOT inspector would look for (brake pads, abs, lights, turn signals, 4-ways, air lines, tire tread and sidewalls, lugnuts, horn, mirrors, reflectors, license plate, license plate light, triangles and flares and fire extinguisher) and chains (in certain areas).[/QUOTE]

Hate to be the bearer of bad news.....but yes you must log a pre-trip ( if it's not on paper...you didn't do it)....and if you are logging 15 minutes for a pre-trip you are leaving yourself exposed....because the DOT will say "you did not do a proper pre-trip" because to check everything that has to be checked you could not possibly do in 15 minutes.....so re-think the 15 min pre-trip or expect to get a ticket.

10. CrappieJunkie

CrappieJunkie Wishin' I was fishin'

Mar 9, 2014
    In a van down by the River.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.