Werner drivers ONLY

Discussion in 'Werner' started by soon2betrucking, Apr 6, 2008.

1. iowabmw

iowabmw Medium Load Member

Jul 15, 2007
    Quad Cities, IA
    Okay I am not a werner driver, nor was I ever however I used to know some guys who worked with werner. Do they still have the "qualcomm logs"? If so, I know alot of guys had a hard time making money because they had to run 120% legit, as in logging on duty the ENTIRE time at shippers/recivers, etc. etc. As far as Canda goes, I kinda wish I would have gone there with the previous compaines I drove for, just to go there. I have never been to Canada before and always wanted to go.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slatherd

slatherd Light Load Member

Feb 2, 2007
    you wanna know about Werner?

1st do a search for "Werner" in the search tab. and read EVERY werner post out there.
    2nd. check out the website: http://www.angelfire.com/rebellion/wernerscrews/
    3rd find my post here: http://www.thetruckersreport.com/tr...-new-drivers/37780-headed-back-to-werner.html this was my personal experience. I still have a post to add to make it up to date now that I have my truck, I will do this soon. A lot has happened since I hit that Hotel in Springfield to the time I got my truck and they got me home.

If I can tell anyone, choose Werner as your LAST resort. I went with them again because they were close and had little requirement to hire me again. but as a new guy going in, I would say try everyone else FIRST.

Good luck.

4. gunslinger35

gunslinger35 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2008
    knoxville,tn
    just a quick reply to the canada and paperless log things. Canada isnt to bad with werner, you most of the time go in thru detroit. You stop at the detroiter truck stop for a trailer inspection every time and during that time you preclearance is done so when you hit canada you jus let em scan your barcode and off you go. I almost always came out empty over in ny and wasnt to big of a hassle. now as far as the paperless logs...trust me yes you can log 600plus mile days in a 65mph weiner truck. personaly i think the log system cheats for the driver lol its kinda nice not to be pushed over your hours. i ran days, leave bout 5 a.m and by 6 pm or so i had me a spot and shut down for the night. to be honest if they paid more i would still be there. The main thing you will learn is stay away from the #### termanals as much as you can and always always get your pm's done on the dang road. your dispatcher will work with you to get that done but they wont always remind you so keep on top of that.

5. WrightK

WrightK Bobtail Member

Mar 20, 2008
    Dalton, Ga

6. RobW

RobW Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    N. Florida
    But I was with Werner till last month. As stated already, they inspect at the Detroiter for Canadian loads and it isn't much of a hassle. That said, I don't do Canada and it will slow your trip.

The "3 picks" is okay, but you won't be picking from just anything... Indeed, just anything they have! It will almost always be something with about 300K on the clock, although I did get a lower mileaged truck once. Longnoses aren't popular anymore. If you get one, it's "old" because they're phasing them out now. You can see what they offer here and there, and I think their website shows the equipment.

Beware of dispatchers too. You'll want to try hard to put up with whatever FM you get, but don't expect him to be highly skilled, or even well trained. Infact, don't expect he's ever been inside a big truck because many of them never have. My FM had been with Werner for 18yrs and never drove a truck or had a CDL. Once you put up with them for 6-8mo, they will be easier to deal with. You'll know how they dispatch, for one thing. And you'll not be the "new guy" anymore by then, so you'll be treated better. You may "luck out" and get a good FM right away too.

You CAN get 600+ per day even with a 65mph Weiner! I've done it and it wasn't hard as long as I didn't have any holdup with the load. At this time, getting that many might not be plausible. They just don't often keep a new driver on a long load. Get used to splits and swaps.

Another thing mentioned already, STAY AWAY from terminals if possible. There are 2 pretty nice ones as far as the facility itself. All of them are slow though, and will keep you way too long once you get in there. I didn't get to all of them, but of those I did, the only one I found remotely helpful was Allentown, PA.

7. ziggystyles

ziggystyles Road Train Member

I think its cool that you can pick your truck from three. Notu sure if its three choices of types of trucks, or just three trucks in general.

I noticed a schneider truck today...think it was a cascadia...schnazzy. Would be nice if one could choose from a couple of types of truck...gives a driver a little more pride in a sense, in their truck...makes it more their own if they can pick it out.

8. RobW

RobW Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    N. Florida
    You can't actually pick your truck... You'll be asked which 3 you would most prefer(of those Werner uses) and then they will look for the one in the middle!! LOL Of course, you get whichever one they assign you in the end. You may turn it down, but the choices don't get much better than the 1st and they won't pay you for waiting on a truck once you've turned one down.

They are using the Cascadia now, but not many have been issued and none have gone to "newbies" that I knew...

9. gunslinger35

gunslinger35 Bobtail Member

Apr 6, 2008
    knoxville,tn
    I shoulda been more clear on the 3 truck picking deal lol..I been pretty lucky, like i said i drove for em 3 times and looks like im headed back again. Im not sure bout students getting there first truck, i belive they get the same option. One way to have a better shot at getting what you want is to agree to do a recovery. I went and did a recovery on my last ride with them. They rented me a car and i had one student who was getting his first ride with me. Cause i had the experance i got to pick first outta two trucks in the area we were going to so i ended up with a 06 pete 387 black and hey!! No crushed in bunk extenders!! no dents or smashed places anywhere on the truck!!! Didn't fit the build of a weiner truck lmao I thought they all came pre-bent?? And the inside was clean. A rare find on a recovery truck. Also I always go thru the springfield, oh term for my re hire and truck assignment. Now im sure ppl are asking wtf why 4times at weiner? Well the money isn't great but the loads are there, the runs arent to bad. Your money, even if it aint a huge check, is always there on time. Overall their b.s. seems to be less than everywhere else i have worked and each time i leave trying to go somewhere "better" it seems to allways fall short of being that much better. So the black hole called werner drags me back in....

10. IROCUBabe

IROCUBabe Road Train Member

Apr 9, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I work for Werner. I have no complaints. My first truck was a 379 with 280k on it, they pulled at 360k and gave us a 160k 2006 379. There are 2007, 2008 379s at the Dallas Terminal. There is a 2-5 day wait time for a truck. About 2 days for a trainer; although if you are female and request female trainer it could be more like 14 days you get paid for the time waiting though.

I drive team, prior to the slowdown we got 6k miles, 38 cents a mile. Husband has 7 years exp, I graduated truck school in June and have worked since then. My solo payrate would be 32 cents. Husband was anti-Werner at first, but changed his mind now. He came over originally because I wanted to try them, and he's comfy enough with them not he won't even quit if I do. He loves his truck, maintence on it has been fine, they fix it if its wrong on the road without issue. We've not had a major break down and the one time we did need a tow they had a two truck there within 2 hrs.

I am a very happy Werner driver. My recruiter didn't tell me a thing that wasn't true. His name was David, I think he handles all new student graduates as everyone at my school dealt with him (boy if he gets commission hes rich). I did wind up doing like 320 hours of training because they didn't have a truck when I finished, but oh well. Never had a long pay issue, they pay on time if you get trippacs in on time. One time a trip went missing they got it fixed within a few weeks.

Home time is lenient, the only time they really screwed up hometime was in Thanksgiving, and it was another drivers ignorant behind that caused it. We were set up with a load to PA, our home time was in FL. They setup swap with LD going to FL in Meridian, the driver ignored the swap and kept going. We were stuck delivering the LD as they could not find another going to FL, they got us right back though.

11. RobW

RobW Light Load Member

Sep 6, 2007
    N. Florida
    No more for me. I went twice and that's all the beating upon the head I need. I left last month and they STILL owe me over $1,500.00 They agreed they owe most of it, but refuse to pay any of it. They have no claim against me either, and have told me so. They didn't even ruin my DAC report, but they DID write in their own system that I was terminated... After my 2weeks notice, I got terminated? They're not real intelligent in my personal case. Not to mention they're trying to be stubborn for spite... Why? Because I quit? Nahhhh... I intend to make the call this afternoon to give them warning of impending legal action. It's not so much the amount of money, but that they refuse to pay after agreeing they owe. If I can't get away with it, they shouldn't either.
    I was in Dallas in late February. They had 119 brand new 387's on the lot beside the entry gate, and I didn't bother counting the ones in the back. They REFUSED to issue a single new truck unless it was going to a CA or DED driver. Instead, the next truck I got was a 2007 Century with low miles... Oh yeah, and a RED TAG ATTACHED!! After 1 week of waiting, we got the terminal mgr(Bill Clark) involved and finally got out... But NOT with repairs done. They fixed one of 3 items and sent us out. After 1 wk of sitting, I wanted to leave so I could make money. They paid 5 of 7 days for that layover, but refused the 1st 2 with the excuse, I got there on Sat and it wasn't their fault I didn't get there on a weekday... No kidding, some moron actually gave me that line.

As for the models, I saw no 379's in Dallas, and only one in Omaha. It was a 2007 model and had not been used, or even serviced. Pete no longer makes the 379. It was apparently replaced by the 389. You probably saw some of those in Dallas.

You two have a GOOD dispatcher! WERNER solo pay for new drivers isn't .32 though, it's .26cpm. As a new driver, you wouldn't see .32cpm for well over a yr. With bonus' in play, you could see .35cpm, but I woudn't expect that. I started solo and did well, but not that well.

Went team in NOV and got a new dispatcher as I was a returning driver. Boneheads cut our pay to .28cpm. I went home and told them call again when they could pay properly. EVERY problem I had with Werner, except my lying recruiter, was caused or amplified by my FM. From the pay problems to the roadside wait for repairs(6hrs- the very day we were released from Lithia Springs for repairs), he was inept, at best. As a team, we hit 6K precisely once. They still owe us for driving Christmas Day... It's APRIL 11th!!!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.