Werner is a good company!

Discussion in 'Discuss Your Favorite Trucking Company Here' started by mugzy, Mar 20, 2009.

1. Stump

Stump Heavy Load Member

Jan 27, 2009
    Modesto CA
    For new drivers, Family Dollar is a great start. For one, it makes you become a better driver and better at backing alot faster then OTR. Like the one guy said, its real easy to lose your job with these account, mainly because of accidents in those tight parking lots. To do a good job on these dedicated runs, use your hours wisely, this way you are not in a hurry to back in and out of these small parking lots. Just G.O.A.L. and smile at the angry shoppers that try and trap you in. I have had 2 trainees go to a dedicated run, one had a backing accident 2 months in and was let go, the other is doing a great job on a D.G. run, he calls me at least 2 times a week and ask questions about makeing his logs work better for him. I always tell him try and get as close or all the way to his next stop before he shuts down at night. Well goodluck fellas, and the training period is long and drains you be the end of it all, Try your best at a dedicated run, this where you can make good money. Us 48 state drivers are becomeing less and less with the economy, but once it picks up it will be good once more, lets hope:biggrin_2552:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mugzy

mugzy Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    Actually I am on DG, and from what I understand it has to be a fairly serious accident to lose your job over it. As far as the stress goes, I just do my best and as long as I'm doing that - thats all I can do - I don't stress over it... (except maybe once in a while when I'm 20 minutes from a truck stop and only have 15 left on my 14... hehe!)

4. mugzy

mugzy Bobtail Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Tucson, AZ
    You got that right! I thought I was getting pretty good and then on about my 4th or 5th run they sent me to this store where I had to back all the way around the alley behind "C" shaped strip-mall. I nearly gave up right then and there, and I told my dispatcher "I don't think I can do this!" - He said "Just get out and look - a lot!" After I made it in, I figured, "well, I guess this ain't so bad..." :)

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  5. luvtheroad

luvtheroad Road Train Member

Jan 1, 2009
    Central Ohio
    That's great that you're happy there. I read so many posts, me and OrdinaryGuy, that are Werner bashing that this a really refreshing. Like a blast of clean air LOL. Keep up the great posts and continue to GOAL. Best of luck!

6. ordinaryguy

ordinaryguy Light Load Member

Dec 16, 2007
    Indianapolis, IN
    get out and look 40 times if you have to, it's better than having a backing accident....so many people are so lazy anymore to GOAL. Family Dollar and DG are good accounts to teach you close quarter manuvering...especially at those Noon deliveries heh. My 2nd trainer was dedicated dollar general out of Scottsville, KY...whoooo doggy, talk about some tight backing lol...i am dedicated anheuser busch, so i see alot of the same places...not complaining though, always know where i am going.

luvtheroad Thanks this.
  7. jeepkid7998

jeepkid7998 Light Load Member

Feb 28, 2007
    Albany, Oregon
    Hey Mugzy,

I know what you mean when you said unloading 53 footers is hard work. I'm being trained right now on the Family Dollar fleet out of Odessa, TX. I'll be on my own here in about 3 weeks and i'm very excited to get my own rig and start making money. My question is what kind of pay checks should i expect to see the first few weeks or month of solo? Be safe out there and hope to hear from you.

8. spankdog

spankdog Bobtail Member

Jul 31, 2009
    Odessa, Tx
    Hey Jeepkid, Let me know how it all turns out, I start at International TD School Sept 8th At Odessa College. I sent an app for a prehire letter this morning to werner and got it back today. I spoke with Lisa (recruiter), and she informed me of the weekly home time with a regional run. Any tips for the road ahead?

9. Larz

Larz Light Load Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Chandler, AZ
    This is refreshing to hear. I start orientation with Werner on Monday! ;)

10. tre607

tre607 Bobtail Member

May 18, 2009
    Canton,Ohio
    hey spankdog,
    you can go home every weekend on a regional division but don't expect to make a lot of money. its harder for your dispatcher to give you enough runs so you can make enough money and get you home on time for your 1 day off. And yes i did say 1 day off cuz Werner only gives 1 day off for every 6 days worked unless you're on a dedicated account. so i suggest you try to get on a dedicated account if you want to be home every weekend.

11. LostSoulCA

LostSoulCA Medium Load Member

Apr 7, 2009
    Visalia, CA
    I got medical clearance today so will be off to training within a week. I am looking forward to it. This thread really puts a positive spin on the prospects. I appreciate the input. Let's keep this one alive and use it to share stories.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.