Werner Orientation

Discussion in 'Werner' started by TheBadger, Jul 21, 2010.

1. TheBadger

TheBadger Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2010
    Morehead, Kentucky
    I'm going to orientation at Werner in Springfield, Ohio...what can I expect during this process?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Teaforone

Teaforone Light Load Member

Nov 16, 2008
    In the Sandhills, NC
    I will give a couple of answers based off of what my orientation was liike in Lithia Springs, GA at the beginning of June. The orientation will be 2 days long. On the first day it will be your drug test. When you first get into class you will have to fill out a paper application, much like you probably did if you applied for the job on the internet. Make sure to bring all your info for you past jobs and remember you have to even include gaps where you were unemployed and the dates of unemployment. The rest of the first day will be going over policies and signing paperwork. On this day you will also start your CBT's (Computer Based Training). These are tests that you do on a computer at the terminal. You will be given a list of the ones you must do before orientation is over.

On the second day it will be watching more movies and going over things in the company handbook. If you make it through the day you will be assigned you Student Driver Manager if you need training. I had previous experience so I only had to do 140 hours on Co-Driver status. When I went to orientation they did not send any students home at all and there were about 30. I didnt wait long for my trainer, I had one the next day. What I did was call my Student Driver Manager the second I got her phone number.

4. red_eye

red_eye Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    belpre, ohio
    What he said... lol.. the cbt's are long and boring.. if it says you have to spend 20mins taking 1 cbt.. then you have to spend 20 mins..no matter if you can do it in 5 mins.. every time you start your cbt.. look at your watch.. because if you don't spend the required time..you have to take it over.. and if it freezes.. turn the monitor off and back on.. not the computer.. just the monitor :) ..it worked for me..
    springfield is a nice term.. you walk in..first thing..they take your ID pic.. you start paper work..while waiting on Dr. Kim.. and his nurse.. you pee in cup... get blood pressure taking.. then the doc see's you.. he didnt even look at me durning the physical ..lol.. just said do this do that.. ok your done.. then back to paper work.. the movies are boring as crap.. telling how good werner is..and how werner cares.. cough cough.. sorry.. anywho.. good luck.. hope you like wiener.. I mean werner.. and hope you get a good trainer.. we played count the tooth game.. wave at the drivers..and when they smile and wave back count the teeth,,,, oops sorry...that wasnt nice...take a bunch of food on the truck with you... and plenty of cash... the trainer will run ya like a team ... for the first couple weeks..you cant drive after midnight.. so take advantage of the sleep you get... once you can drive after midnight.. you will be driving all night.. if your trainer is a ahole... call your sdm..and tell him/her ..if your trainer goes home every weekend..it will take forever to get your hours done.. if your trainer truck does not have an apu..buy a 12v fan...cause you will need it.. when you are setting for hours..waiting on this or that...

Everett Thanks this.
  5. johnday

johnday Road Train Member

Redeye; You said Dr. Kim, [Dr. term used loosely]. He's the same one USX used when I was there. Was he still wearing the moon boots? No I'm not joking. I enjoyed his holier than thou attitude as well.:biggrin_25523:

6. red_eye

red_eye Medium Load Member

Dec 30, 2009
    belpre, ohio
    Moon boots.. ah man.. yes he had them on... the nurse was really nice.. but he was there just to get paid.. lol

7. johnday

Ya, he couldn't even look up from his newspaper when he "gave" me a physical. Actually turned out to be a prelude of coming attractions from those guys. :biggrin_25525: The red trucks next door I'm saying!!:biggrin_25523:

Ya again, most nurses are really decent. They seem to be more in touch with the rest of the world.

8. Dark_Majesty_06

Dark_Majesty_06 Road Train Member

Jun 15, 2009
    Poplar bluff, mo
    I sure hate to barge in here and ask a question, but I hope I aint stepin on anyones toe's. I'm runnin down to dallas wed. For orientation. I've got a year otr, 48 state freezer box. Will I need to go out with a trainer.. Is it true their just gunna bring me down and tell me there's no positions available? Lastly.. What's the driving/backing test like and my bp is in the range of around 140/70..I passed my 2 year with that number.. So can I pass werners physical? Thanks a bunch for your help.

9. johnday

When I went to Werner, there wasn't even a road test. Go figure!:biggrin_25513:

10. shakey1946

shakey1946 Light Load Member

Jul 27, 2010
    Gates,N.C.
    expect the worst and you will not be disapointed driver...

11. Brooklyn

Brooklyn Bobtail Member

Nov 12, 2009
    Earth normaly
    I was there 10 yrs ago but cant imagine it changing that much. Road test was a few turns around the block a straight line back for a few yards and the tricky entrance into the terminal (their idea of seeing how well you pay attention) and that was it. I was a driver trainer there for 3 years and all my students went through the same thing. If you can pass a DOT physical, Werner's is nothing to worry about. You needing a trainer or not depends on your driving record and how you do on the road test. My suggestion is relax, You know how to drive so just do it. Now the having a truck thing i have associates in recruiting and the answer to that is always sketchy. That's about all I can give you.

Steve14 and Everett Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.