Werner Overview

Discussion in 'Werner' started by H-D Road Glide, Nov 8, 2012.

1. H-D Road Glide

H-D Road Glide Light Load Member

Jun 25, 2012
    Central Florida
    I started with Werner Enterprises back in August. They weren't my first choice, nor my last, but it was pretty much a guaranteed job. I was orignally hesitant to even accept the pre-hire, due to hearing and reading many negative things about Werner, but after 8 years in the Marines, I figured I'd already been through worse in my life. I'm writing this as somewhat of a guide for people considering Werner, and to share some of my experiences.

Orientation is two days. On day one you will spend the morning doing paperwork and finishing your application for employment, signing up for benefits, a piss test, and a physical, then come computer based classes along with videos. The second day is pretty much all videos, computer based training, and sitting around. At the end of day two you will be assigned a Student Driver Manager (SDM), which if all goes will you will likely never talk to. After being assigned you wait for a trainer. Some people have trainers assigned right away, some have to wait, its just the luck of the draw.

Training consists of 275 hours of drive time. The first 3 days you need to be observed by your trainer for 15 hours, then over the next 11 days you'll be observed another 15 hours. For the first 2 weeks, you cannot drive between the hours of 12 AM - 6 AM. Though the driving part is important, you will need to learn to master the Qualcomm (logs, loads, payroll, etc), how to use reward programs at truckstops to your advantage, how to find safe places to sleep/park, where to do laundry, where to eat, TripPaks, etc. You'd be amazed how many people pass the training program after they completed the 275 hours of drive time, and still don't know anything. Don't get me wrong, I could write many paragraphs about the actual driving, backing, docking, coupling, uncoupling, pretrips, etc, but your trainer can cover that.

Upon completion of training, be prepared for more computer based training courses, a log test, possibly a road test depending on your trainers "trainer score". Take a pre-trip class from Gra-Gar Inc, and its time to see Fleet Assignments to get your truck.

If at any time during your training, you feel your not being trained right, or not being taught the proper techniques, talk to your trainer first, and if that doesn't solve the problem, call your SDM to work it out, don't just walk away from it.

The pay blows. $400 per week before taxes. If you put in some good hours, there are bonuses. I got a few $145, 75, 50, etc added to some checks. After training you get a $500 bonus after delivering your first load.

Things to bring/buy: (**items between astericks are for when you get your own truck)

Flashlight , sleeping bag or blanket, sheets, pillow, flip flops for showers, towel, pocket knife, laundry bag, Lynsol,soaps, shampoos, enough clothes for 7-10 days.** Motor Carriers Atlas, GPS, CB, Bluetooth headset, laptop with TripPak scanner and internet connection.** You don't absolutly need all these items, but it'll make your life easier.

I've driven 6500 miles in the last two weeks @ 31.5 cpm. Don't complain about getting a crap load or a shag, and you'll get taken care of. When I was at the Atlanta terminal, I heard a few people complaining about only getting 2200 miles per week, and short load this, I'm not gonna do that, f-this, f-that. Don't give your dispatchers or load planners a reason to not want to give you good loads, or loads at all.

This company is far from perfect, but so am I. Start here, learn here, stay here, or leave here. Your choice. Hope this little narritive helps.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2012
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. BossOutlaw88

BossOutlaw88 Road Train Member

Oct 30, 2011
    Cali
    Well stated. I was once a Blue Screw employee until thst nickname became a reality for me.

mje and Arial Thank this.
  4. HappyHardCore

HappyHardCore Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Sounds exactly like my experience, and I agree, don't complain or they will make your life hell. If you realize you hate Werner, then just keep your mouth shut and get enough experience to get hired else where, but at least its a starting point, and we all have to start some where.

If and when it comes time to quit, be professional. Return the truck to company property or else future employers will be told you abandoned equipment.

Something new drivers may not realize is that Werner is very forgiving on accidents and tickets during your first year, probably cause of the money they make from the government. After you have 1 year exp, then there are no more second chances, just termination.

Same with mileage, will be the best in your first year, then trickle off a bit, but that can also depends on your attitude and relationship with dispatcher.

I admit I complained a little bit when I first started over 10 years ago, but in this economy with high employment, keeping your mouth shut is key to having a job. If it really doesn't work out, then just remind yourself that with enough experience there are more choices available for companies to hire with.

5. ladywrongway03

ladywrongway03 Heavy Load Member

Aug 28, 2008
    trotwood oh
    12 yrs ago I started with werner.I had a couple of rotten trainers but I stuck it out.The pay is low but for a rookie it wasnt any better anywhere else.6 months of driving done my dad was dying in the hospital.I went in and said I had to quit due to my dads illness and the manager created a job where I was home every day to be with my dad but was still able to make some money.When you have a company that goes out of their way to help you,its not forgotten.I did leave after my year to a .8 raise with a different company.werner lately has not had the best of equipment,like they use to have.

JCB & Associates and mje Thank this.
  6. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    Well werner is a self insured company that's why they are able to be so forgiving about accidents especially when you are in a crappy dedicated account, in a few days in going to hit my first year with the company. Be good and they will take care of you my current fleet manager send me to get a new truck just because I was complaining about the wind noise, I do like the company but a few more cpm will make it a keeper Ohh by the way is it me or c.l werner looks like the guy of dos equis beer commercial?

7. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    29999400.jpg

Koolguy, Ruckie, Nyman and 2 others Thank this.
  8. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    I don't know how many veterans we go working for werner but if you haven't check your mail they sent a letter thanking you about your service and a good looking sticker to put on your truck.... Nothing says werner cares like making you work on veterans day and not accepting hometime request for thanksgiving!!!

123456, NJ LADYTRUCKER and mje Thank this.
  9. H-D Road Glide

Jun 25, 2012
    Central Florida
    They sent stickers to my house, that I haven't been to for a month, for a truck I slip seat in.

mje Thanks this.
  10. H-D Road Glide

Jun 25, 2012
    Central Florida
    New suggestion: Get through the training, then leave. Finding that the dispatchers, Canadian customs, permits people, spend more effort trying to not do their jobs, then actually doing the jobs right using only half the effort.

PKG and mje Thank this.
  11. 123456

123456 Road Train Member

Oct 22, 2010
    :biggrin_2559:..................

Arial Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.