Werner Owner Operators

Discussion in 'Werner' started by SpyderRyder, May 20, 2012.

1. SpyderRyder

SpyderRyder Medium Load Member

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    I'm starting this thread because I am in the process of buying a truck from Fleet Sales in Dallas and I'd like to share information with other Werner owner operators out there.

They are currently selling 2008 Freightliner Cascadia with APU. Engine is DD Series 60 14 liter with 8 spd transmission.

I'd like feedback on the '08 Cascadia if anyone has experience with it. I'm currently driving an '09 Prostar Eagle with Cummins ISX450.

I am also on the Dollar General account out of Ardmore.

Cheers.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Ruckie

Ruckie Road Train Member

Nov 12, 2011
    Bloom field,nj
    How much did you paid for it?

4. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Sorry it took a while to answer your question. $49,000 and it has 400,000 miles on it. It retails for $57,000.

5. Cochise

Cochise Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    tow,texas
    Is that a single or double bunk sleeper? Any more specs such as rear end ratio, wheel base etc.? I have never driven a Cascadia just sat in one looking at it at the Temple, TX Freightliner dealer. I really like the layout of the one I was in. I have driven several Columbias and Centurys and a couple of FLDs. Each had good points and some minor bad ones. My last company leased Int. 9400s with double bunks and Fuller 10 speeds. Drove them back and forth to LA from Garland. How is the Prostar?

6. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    The Cascadia comes with a double bunk. It's probably comparable to my Prostar. The Prostar is roomy and handles like a Cadillac. It's real quiet inside. I was crammed in an 06 Century with my trainer for 6 weeks. Almost like sharing a pup tent (two shelter halfs snapped together).

7. Cochise

Cochise Light Load Member

Jun 8, 2011
    tow,texas
    Double bunks are great even running solo. I have never driven an eight speed, only 10s, 13s and two automatics. If it is not too personal, how much down are they requiring and, other than being the seller, what part does Werner have in the deal?

8. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    No money down. I went to the Dallas terminal today and got my first look at 14108. It went through body shop last week and looks like a new hood, bumper, and grill. Exterior looks great and has a Carrier APU. Interior is a bit dirty but did not smell cigerette residue so I'm lucky there. The truck has 371,000 miles on it. In-dash message center showed there are 4 active faults so I guess it will be in the shop this week for that. I'm scheduled to take delivery on the 25th.

9. Koolguy

Koolguy Light Load Member

Jun 9, 2012
    Trenton,NJ
    if they fit everything and u cant find anything wrong with the truck. then that not a bad price for the truck. but like Coahise said, is there a warranty or deal that comes with the buying the truck?

10. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    The truck comes with a warranty from Werner. I'm not sure how long but someone told me 30 days. I will go over it with a fine tooth comb be for I take delivery. I will get a delivery bonus and I think that was around 700 dollars, full fuel tanks, and two free oil changes if I remember right. Every now and then a message comes over the Qualcomm advertising the incentives. Plus I will get priority on the long mileage loads.

11. SpyderRyder

Aug 29, 2011
    Rice, Texas
    Picked up my truck yesterday. Whoever detailed it sprayed all this oily shiny stuff all over; floor, steps, everywhere. That stuff is very slick and as I stated, oily. Made the steps pretty slippery also. I went over it with a fine tooth comb and gave the shop a punch list this morning. They are working on it as I write this. The only drawback on the APU is that it's equipped with a Carrier and I'm used to TK. The TK is automatic and will start when you turn the ignition off and vice versa. The TK provides DC and must have an inverter for AC power. The Carrier provides AC so if I want to use my microwave, the APU must be running. I'll be adding an inverter soon for convenience. First add-ons though will be Crossfire dual pressure equalization system on my drives and Centramatics auto-balancers on the steers. Gotta save that rubber and make it last. Bottom line though, the truck is in great shape.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.