Werner trucking student driver program lawsuit

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by crucifyme, Mar 8, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    :biggrin_2559: . A driver running 2,000 miles a week turns over more revenue than a measly 4k tuition. :biggrin_2559: .
    Companies are all about expansion ? Tell me how much each BFI has increased their fleet size in the last year . I recently posted a link to Werner's annual report showing they have reduced their fleet by 10% .
    The only part of your post that is sensible is saying you've seen a lot of students willingly leave USX.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Jorihe84

Jorihe84 Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    Yes your correct. A company doesn't expand. Average joes open up companies all the time with thousands of trucks....

SMFH

4. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    You dodged my question about how much BFI's are expanding NOW .

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  5. Jorihe84

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    When did I imply that they were NOW? It was a general statement. Every business focus is growth. Period. Not a single person goes into business to be mediocre.

Depending on the load, that 4k tuition could be turned on one run. The fact is simple, most dropouts occur because the student isn't cut out for it. Im sick of hearing all the conspiracy theories that they force you to drop out for a BS 4k when your one run is more of a asset.

6. Jorihe84

Sep 1, 2010
    North Florida
    Also one of the conspiracy theories I want concrete evidence on is this...

Since many people believe these "BFIs" get some government cut for students. I would like a real piece of evidence showing that.

Oh, every company on here has been labeled a "BFI", yet they are the most successful.

7. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    There is a big difference between revenue and net profit . Carrier profit is less than 10% of revenue .
    You companies are successful because they make drivers a minimum expense by paying bottom feeder wages . That is why Dan England is ATA chairman . Evidently the worse a carrier treats drivers the more successful they are considered to be .

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  8. RickG

RickG Road Train Member

Jul 22, 2008
    Owensboro , KY
    http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/0,,id=220326,00.html
    http://online.wsj.com/article/SB10001424052970203699404577044052223447854.html
    Yes , a lot of carriers are willing to "support" veterans .
    The more employees carriers hire the more incentives they get but since they aren't expanding they have to continue their turnover and boot some employees to gain new ones . Yes , some quit on their own - after too many 1500 mile weeks at $.30 a mile . But even then some say their $450 a week trucking job pays more than A $300 a week burger flipping job . Those people make great Schneider drivers .

9. OPUS 7

OPUS 7 Road Train Member

Aug 13, 2010

My editing no soo good with multi quoting ,sorry bout that

otherhalftw Thanks this.
  10. otherhalftw

otherhalftw R.I.P.

Nov 18, 2008
    CA...gold discovery foothills
    You miss the point entirely!

It isn't about supporting, or railing against, the method or pay structure of these training companies. This thread, and my statements regarding seeking a class action suit that will do nothing with regard to pay of a person learning a trade/vocation/profession! Pay/compensation guidelines are set in stone by State and Federal Law. Along with diversified contingencies based on the "industry", in this case, the transportation industry, along with many trucking companies aligning themselves with agriculture. Piggy-backing "transportation and agriculture" to be legally allowed to pay below the standard minimum wage for a "trainee". In the transportation industry, companies pay either percentage or "mileage", again sidestepping the "minimum wage" restrictions.

The OP in this thread, is calling out to drivers, that signed on with (in this case Werner) training companies to "learn" and get a "drivers position" in trucking. They were well informed of the compensation they would get as a trainee on a trainers truck. And this information was given in two places....at the truck school they attended and were "recruited" from, then at the company they chose to start with by the recruiting department and again in orientation! They started by agreeing to an incredible debt for the schooling just to get a license to drive a rig...and by a second agreement to the "below minimum wage" compensation rate as a student trainee! They agreed, willingly, to this debt and pay rate!

11. Dreaman

Dreaman Medium Load Member

Sep 18, 2007
    Iowa
    What would be wrong with these prospective "drivers" doing some homework?
    I guess Im just weird. When making a committment like, new car, house, vacation I do some research so I get the most for my money. Why wouldn't you examine your career choice in the same fashion?
    I went to local driving school and listened to all the recruiters. At the time it was all pretty much the same pay, same requirements, same equipment. Im talking training companies here. I worked for Werner for 5 years out of school. No, it wasn't all roses. I did learn a lot and use this knowledge everyday on my local job. Some I learned from the company and some by observation and discussion with other drivers.
    I have grown tired of the been done wrong and they need to pay attitude, when a little effort on the victims part could have prevented it. Yes there are some that were actually screwed over however not as many as the op would like to believe.:biggrin_2554:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

• Thread Status:
    Not open for further replies.