west motor freight

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by mbozz, Aug 16, 2012.

1. mbozz

mbozz Bobtail Member

Sep 26, 2010
    middle island ny
    does anyone have any info on this company ? they are based out of pa.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. geargrinder

geargrinder Medium Load Member

Nov 23, 2006
    More than likely waiting.
    I see a driver stays at the old Fairway Motor Lodge in Hermitage, PA across from Tam O Shanter Golf Course. His tractor is parked there religiously every weekend. Don't know if he's pulling a box or flat. Therefore, it would appear home time is pretty darn good :biggrin_25519:

4. Cheryl Jones

Cheryl Jones Bobtail Member

Jan 18, 2013
    We are a good company. You can run regional & get home weekends or depending where you live, you can be home daily. Drop & hook- no- touch freight. No trailer rental fees. Call me if you have any questions.

5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Hey Cheryl. I see you posting all over looking for O/O's. Makes me wonder why the sudden need for talent? Do you have that much new work, or have you recently lost many of your contractors?
    I'm curious, and have looked over your website a few times. I don't see anywhere what you require for equipment. I have had your number saved in my phone for a while now lol just as something on the back burner so to speak.
    Overall what I've seen advertised makes West seem like a decent place to lease. But I've never had the opportunity to speak with anyone who leases there.
    Thanks for your time.

6. Cheryl Jones

Jan 18, 2013
    Hi Ruthless, You didn't see West advertised until recently because they didn't have a recruiter until they hired me a couple months ago. The operations manager would place newspaper ads from time to time--but that's about it. West is one of the oldest trucking companies in the area--105 years old with a solid customer base that is growing. I am very impressed with all I've seen so far. Great home time while being able to make a living at the same time with a company that knows how to treat their drivers right & keep them. Our owner-ops pull company 48 or 53 ft dry van ( no rental fees) the freight is just about all non- touch, non-forced dispatch. We pay for Ifta, NY HUD, you can also get base plate $50 a week & bobtail/ non-trucking insurance through us-1 million in coverage for $8 a week. We have a fully-staffed garage and offer great discounts on tires once you're with us for 90 days. We also track, calculate and pay your 1st $75 in fuel taxes every quarter. Call me if you want to talk more at Phone number removed.
    Cheryl

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 10, 2013
  7. Cheryl Jones

Jan 18, 2013
    Ruthless, just noticed I didn't answer question about equipment age requirements. We don't have any age limitation as long as truck in good shape & passes inspection. The areas we run are southern Maine to Northern Virginia to middle of Ohio to points East.

8. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    I appreciate your response Cheryl. I have your number saved. I appreciate the info you've put on here. You are correct: I have only seen ads recently-that's what sparked my interest. Good to know.

Cheryl Jones Thanks this.
  9. Voyager1968

Voyager1968 Road Train Member

Sep 11, 2008
    Phoenix, AZ
    Cheryl. Has West gone all owner/operator, or are there still company drivers? I'm not looking for work, it's just that back in the 80's and 90's you had lots of company trucks and now I see few, if any, in the area.

Cheryl Jones Thanks this.
  10. Cheryl Jones

Jan 18, 2013
    Hi Voyager, you are correct. West used to have between 100 & 150 trucks in the 80s & 90s. Presently, we have 40 company trucks.

Voyager1968 Thanks this.
  11. Hellraiser78

Hellraiser78 Light Load Member

Jul 30, 2012
    PA
    I start at West on Monday. I will say it was a pleasure dealing with Cheryl. I look forward to working there.

Ruthless and Cheryl Jones Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.