West Texas deadhead miles

Discussion in 'Oilfield Trucking Forum' started by Rockdoctor, Jun 12, 2017.

1. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

Thanks chalupa, I made the move from Houston out here to West TX because I thought things were more stable. Come to realize it's not just the region which one must consider when looking for stability! Hear you loud and clear on the third party thing.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Olah

Olah Bobtail Member

Jun 19, 2018
    Hi,
    I am not in trucking business neither do i have a cdl or any experience about it. I have thinking of making extra money now and i got advice to buy a Freight Liner and put it in West Texas. Do you think this is a wise move? What advice can you give me?

4. Brettj3876

Brettj3876 Road Train Member

Nov 18, 2014
    Land of local
    Or just light your money on fire either way it will be the same

austinmike Thanks this.
  5. bbq247365

bbq247365 Light Load Member

Oct 19, 2012
  6. Rockdoctor

Rockdoctor Medium Load Member

It will be hard to make money with one truck if you are not the driver. Labor and fuel will be your largest expenses. Next will be maintenance and West Texas is rough on a truck. If you get the wrong driver in that truck, maintenance could even surpass your fuel bill for the month. To clarify, by wrong driver, let me elaborate. A hired driver who isn't responsible for maintaining the truck is going to drive the truck fast and hard. The lease roads and county roads in West Texas are very rough and tough. A maintenance bill average of $5K a month is not unheard of so if you think you can make that work then go for it but I think there are better ways to invest your money.

austinmike Thanks this.
  7. RockinChair

RockinChair Road Train Member

Feb 19, 2012
    CC, TX
    Normal or not, that is some piss-poor dispatching.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.