Western 11 MILES? GOOD INFO INSIDE!

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by justawheelholderfornow, May 9, 2012.

1. Spokester

Spokester Light Load Member

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Well, at the same rate of pay, running all available hours at 60mph @$.32/mi is $1,334 gross max possible; at 70mph it's $1,568 max gross possible. Not a whole lot more, but it is more, and you really can't average 70mph (probably possible, but difficult), but you can average 60mph -- I did it from North Platte to Layton, 660 miles in 10hrs58mins. I even had to turn around for fuel in Cheyenne, DM was a little slow on the draw. Was a light load...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NogoJoe

NogoJoe Light Load Member

Oct 31, 2011
    i agree . your average will very with weight and terrain.my best day so far is 648 mi. 10hrs 46min. At
    May we are not pushed, there is alway more than enough time to get to your drops.

4. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    idk how many miles it is but i ran from santa nella ca to the phoenix yard 10 hr 59 min but i had to stop 2 miles from the yard drive a mile turn off my truck etc to make it. i wasnt going to be that close to home and have to take a 10 hr break.:biggrin_2551:

5. Scooter Jones

Scooter Jones Road Train Member

Apr 19, 2011
    660 miles in 11 hrs on a governed truck? Hmmmm...you must of been gunning it down the hills. If so, they will call you on that on your next review ;-)

Secondly, do you really think my ungoverned buddy is driving 70 across Wyoming, Nebraska and the likes? Uhh, that would be negative. He told me he's averaging well above 16k miles a month. At 32 cents per miles that's not bad.

6. justawheelholderfornow

justawheelholderfornow Medium Load Member

Oct 12, 2010
    The Bank
    I went 662 in 10:59 while at May, never going over 65, in my 61mph 587.
    Now, 73mph truck, paper logs, and 40cpm...I don't foresee my return to May lol

7. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    I thought you are in violation of company policy at May above 63 mph? Sensor Tracs documents that, doesn't it? Maybe I just don't remember correctly.

8. Spokester

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Well, I always let the Jake kick in on the downhills without turning the cruze control off; holds it at 64-65. When they looked at my records during the review, he said my speed was good, within parameters... I figure it's the best way to run it, actually improves fuel economy, and the Jake works better there. My trainer said not to go over 63, but when I started on my own discovered that I didn't have to kill the cruze on every downhill and it would hold under or at 65. I decided that unless they told me different, that's how I'd run. That's how I run... Coming in to N. Carolina today on the 77, I got to enjoy miles and miles of 65mph on that grade, didn't touch the cruze or the brakes once.

I'm actually getting pretty fed up with the strict governed speed. I've heard of other companies that allow a short burst to account for the real world. All those slow, painful passes, and situations where you really just need to get around something or out of the way come to mind. Plus, being able to go a little faster to make up time, or heck, even take a break every now and then! That would be nice. I understand the reasons, but if they offered me a fuel mileage bonus, and took the governor off, I guarantee I would get better mpg than I do now! Just sayin'.

9. Spokester

Nov 26, 2011
    Port Angeles, WA
    Something tells me when I get a taste of that, I won't be going back either...

10. Joker85

Joker85 Road Train Member

Jul 3, 2010
    Phoenix Az
    i always ran 65 down hills and always had good reviews

11. Scooter Jones

Apr 19, 2011
    Now, running down a hill at 65 with a 42k load is another subject as far as safety goes. I'll let Trucker Steve address that though ;-)

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.