Western Express

Discussion in 'Motor Carrier Questions - The Inside Scoop' started by moybutter, Jul 2, 2021.

1. moybutter

moybutter Bobtail Member

Jul 16, 2018
    The Good:
    They will hire anybody experienced, no experience, ex felon, DUI, or you were Safety terminated like me. I talked to a guy who totalled his truck driving for SWIFT because he fell asleep at the wheel so he came to Western.

Trainer pay is a very good deal. You get paid for all the miles you drive and the miles your trainee drives @ .50 cents a mile plus $50 a week. I'm taking home around $1900 a week consistently.

They have a laid back style of management here. They don't bother you as long as you do your job. I only talk to my DM when it is something important. They don't even care that much about damaged bumpers.

I get all the miles that I can handle.

The Bad:
    Not the best trucks. Mostly Internationals but we have some Freightliners and Volvos. No refrigerators or inverters. Half of them have some kind of body damage.

Too few and crowded terminals. U can't even use the restroom after working hours. Only one terminal has a single shower. No laundry.

I hardly ever get paid for detention even when I have the times on the bills and I follow up on it .

Orientation is just plain ridiculous. You literally have to watch 100 videos in 2 and a half days.

Night and weekend crew dispatchers aren't the most communicative.

Overall I think that Western is an ok company. I've been driving for them for about 9 months. I like my paychecks and my new Freightliner. I won't be leaving Western anytime soon.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Flat Earth Trucker

Flat Earth Trucker Road Train Member

Nov 19, 2018
  4. Lonesome

Lonesome Mr. Sarcasm

Dec 15, 2007
    Northern Indiana
    I do believe that is one of the few WE writeups that was somewhat positive.

5. ibcalm19

ibcalm19 Road Train Member

Nov 30, 2015
    Pennsylvania
    I worked for Western when I started trucking. I had a good trainer for flatbed. I had a good DM & his father was the safety person. I appreciated my time there. W/E gave me an opportunity to learn & move forward in my trucking career. I am still friends with the Dm. We had such fun moving America together. Make the best of your situation.

6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
  7. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    Rare like a chicken with lips.

8. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    There's just no accounting for taste.

Bean Jr. and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Flat Earth Trucker

Nov 19, 2018
    You are a rare bird. There's a Western Express survivors support group here on TTR. Lovesthedrive, mjd, bryan, and myself make fun of the dumb stuff we see on the road and even stuff we don't see over in the trucking accidents section if you ever want to join us for free ongoing therapy sessions.

Speed_Drums, Bean Jr., bzinger and 2 others Thank this.
  10. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    The moral of the story is,
    "If you're warm, safe, and happy in a pile of ####, keep your mouth shut."
    Good write up. Good info.
    I believe @otterinthewater had a similar experience. He moved on to be a contractor for Landstar.

11. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    He loved Western Express.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.