Western Star Transportation of Carson,Ca

Discussion in 'Report A BAD Trucking Company Here' started by Mev, Sep 6, 2013.

1. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    Company Profile

Other than an medical and dental plan (employee purchased) and a small safety bonus there is not much in the form of benefits at this company

No company participation in any kind of 401k
    for the employees

No vacation
    No pets
    Limited Rider Policy
    Forced Dispatch w/E Logs
    Majority of loads are LTL
    Drop pay after the first drop

No Pre Pass
    No Toll Pas

No breakdown pay
    No layover pay
    No detention pay

No Tri Packs on the trucks/No idle bonus

Drivers responsible for keeping up with maintenance while out on the road.
    No connection between maintenance and dispatch like the bigger companies use.

Average miles are currently running around 1600 -2000 per week

The owners actively keep the finances of this company shaved right down to the last penny,so if there is anything an employee can count on..it's that if there is a single penny to be saved ,they will cut something out of the picture.

Overall a very strange place

Capt Kirk Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. slowpoke89

slowpoke89 Road Train Member

Oct 10, 2011
    Slowpoke land
    Is that the western star express with the studio sleeper kw's? Sounds like its run by a bunch of greedy cheapskates.

4. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    No Extra pay for going into New York City

No Compensation for being out on holidays such as Christmas or Thanksgiving

Really not much different than most companies

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2013
  5. CarlosTheDangerous

CarlosTheDangerous Light Load Member

Aug 24, 2013
    Here is the list of benefits taken from their site:

• Local Drivers $14 to start
    • OTR earn 36 cents per mile, Teams 42 cpm
    • $35 paid per drop and pick and drop pay - LTL paid $25 straight load after first drop
    • Company insurance plan available with medical, dental and vision
    • Compliance Bonus .02cpm paid every six months
    • Roadside Violation Free - $45 Bonus
    • All new and late-model Kenworth T660's
    (equipment runs new to 2 1/2 years)
    • Trucks with studio sleeper - refrigerator
    • Reasonable home time
    • Family Owned and Operated since 1972
    • Rider Program after 90 days
    • Trucks governed at 68 mph

So what we have is a relatively small private trucking outfit that's struggling to stay competitive with the big boys. It doesn't do any good to complain here. You either ask the boss for a raise or some better benefit or shop around and find a pay/benefits package that suits you.

6. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    I see what you mean basically if a person doesn't like it quit and find something better.
    Defiantly can see the economic point,its a pennies per mile business

What makes Western Star so strange is the attitude towards drivers.
    In the short time i have been there its been expressed and overheard that 'you drivers are a dime a dozen','drivers don't have a life',etc.
    Saw one dispatcher brow beating a driver with 'i can have you fired' in order to push him around.
    Seems a bit on the cruel side to treat the people that drive for them with this kind of contempt and bullying
    Very toxic environment to say the least

Recently heard they went Chapter 11 and lost a lot of their trucks

Sort of reminds me of the Arrow nightmare some time ago

Capt Kirk Thanks this.
  7. Capt Kirk

Capt Kirk Bobtail Member

Dec 25, 2013
    Western Star originally back in the day was a company called Cal - Inland inc, then due to running hot lost their MC and became Cal - Inland Refrigerated services, and due to miss management and running hot became Western Star Transportation. This name came from their original trucks in the early 1990s which were western stars... All these companies are and we're known for running super hot and outlaw style and certain illegal activities were overlooked or ignored. . But why or what do they expect you have a fleet of decked out owner operator KW'S so the overall fleet cost is high and when you treat the driver like a slave you will have a super high turnover rate which is an extremely high company expense . Treat the drivers like cattle and treat em like their easily replaced and a totally toxic environment so far from driver friendly what does the Cadwallader family expect?... The driver is the company in the end not assets or fancy equipment small detail they never learned.. notice they are and never did legally haul or were licensed for hazmat(but they did I know I was there) They were a good last chance company or a good one for the wanna be owner operator. Their attitude was and still appears to be that if we give you a sweet ride, you best be greatful. I worked for them in the early 90s and yea did whatever but woke the #### up and now am a professional and such in every way and have been at my current company 10+ years and love it here. Beware if you work for any company and see it is run or managed by anyone with the name or from the Cadwallader family, run and go elsewhere or your just gonna be broke, run to death for no real money, or hometime, or benefit packagebut at least you will have a nice ride.... :p

BTW seeing their old trucks re-stickered under Western Refrigerated Services from Las Vegas NV do not know if it's just that they sold them there or such through their CURRENT BK. But Beware if someone named Cadwallader works there, or just another chapter possibly in the outlaw trucking legacy of that family.. don't know, but interesting to see what happens. .. (facepalm) smh

https://business-bankruptcies.com/cases/western-star-transportation-llc

https://business-bankruptcies.com/cases/western-refrigerated-ltl-services-l-l-c

notice the two different companies public BK notices. One for western star transportation, one for western Refrigerated services las vegas nv.. but notice the main office is the same address in Blaine MN. .. just saying, DRIVER BEWARE,unless you wanna be a poser owner operator, or got a current meth habit..

Western flyer Thanks this.
  8. Florida Playboy

Florida Playboy Road Train Member

Dec 19, 2012
    Florida
    $14 an hour for a local CDL A driver is a joke. Around here everyone pays $18-$20 an hour.

9. Mev

Mev Road Train Member

Jul 29, 2009
    No surprise they are sinking
    In hindsight...it was hard to believe the behavior of the people who worked there,
    and the things that were allowed to go on by the owners.
    The place was pure debauchery,sex,drugs,drug peddlers,
    corrupt dispatch,you name it,it was going on,place was completely unreal.
    Possibly the most selfish people i have ever been around in my entire life
    Who knows what will become of them,
    Los Angeles was a freak show

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 29, 2013
  10. joseph1135

joseph1135 Papa Murphy

Nov 8, 2009
    The Highway To Hell.
    Western Star is no longer. R&R out of Minnesota bought them out (what was left anyway).

11. Tenn I See Trucker

Tenn I See Trucker Medium Load Member

Dec 19, 2013
    TULLAHOMA,TN
    The cold storage in Carson too????

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.