Western Star Truck Issues And Fixes

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by vikingswen, May 15, 2016.

1. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Ya probably. I had lots little stupid stuff. I just went over the trucks front to back when they were new. Been problem free for years now... lots of stuff isnt even worth going back to the dealer for. They usually screw it up worse. And the trucks are great , it's the guys putting them together that's the problem.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    I just talked to two other loggers in town here on my way home and they have brand new 4900's they just got. had the same issue I also had.....trucks came with wrong motor mounts. And then the rubbers fell out of replacements.
    So far mine are good after being replaced when it came in new.

So we'll see how it all goes now with these new harnesses.

4. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    I agree with that swaan. I SHOULD love this truck. It's beautiful, comfortable, has the nicest dash and interior of all the trucks on the market right now. Has a lot of good features about the frame construction and wiring.
    But all the stupid build quality issues have me hating life.

5. swaan

swaan Road Train Member

Jul 12, 2009
    BC canada
    Yes it's a shame really, because they really are one the nicest trucks out there. If only the ####### putting them together took a little more pride in there job.

6. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    So the other night I idled across town into my dealer at 3 am, derated with the stop engine light, CEL and malfunction lights on.
    As if these new trucks and engines aren't bad enough, the problem is traced back to a thousand dollar wire harness and an $800 dollar one that are run over the One-Box and were heat cooked and brittle and full of holes from the dealer poking them with test lights probe during all my previous issues. So now they are all green and rotten.

So they go to order the two new harnesses and had a heck of time finding them. Found out my 2013 4900 is what they described as a "hybrid bast@&d lemon." Was built with a mix of old and new emission system components of the time.
    Anyway these harnesses have been updated twice after mine was built, so we are all hoping maybe this was the cause of most of my issues all along. Hey, a guy can dream can't he? LOL.

Anyway, I just got the ultimate fix for this Star that is making very happy again. A 1986 International 9670 Eagle cabover with an NTC big cam 400!!!!
    Ba-bye emissions garbage!!!!!

7. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Just fixed my emissions issues, LOL. Got a little bit of cosmetic work to do and good to go.
    Interior has never had the plastic removed from sleeper and headliner. Eagle interior.....mint shape. Only driver seat bottom cushion and steering wheel show wear.

I forgot how glorious it is to drive an old truck with a mechanical motor!! 003 (Large).JPG

8. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    015 (2) (Large).JPG Kinda says something when a 1986 International makes me happier driving it than this.

9. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Well yesterday got these two new updated $1800.00 wire harnesses installed that go to the SCR system.
    It ran awesome last night. Pulled better than ever, instant throttle response and an additional 5 pounds of boost pressure. Parked it for the night.

Fired it up this afternoon, both check engine lights and the red stop engine light on immediately. What a piece of garbage.

How do you even sell or trade it when the lights and derate are on almost every single day.
    It runs 9 hours at a time between dealer visits. Awesome.

Cetane+ and BoostedTeg Thank this.
  10. Chapo

Chapo Bobtail Member

Jan 20, 2019
    I have 2006 ws key turns over engine wint fire up...ecm is good

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.