Western Star Truck Issues And Fixes

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by vikingswen, May 15, 2016.

1. Mythandar

Mythandar Bobtail Member

May 18, 2016
    For water dripping down from the cab roof, usually the speaker area, it's most likely coming from the marker lights on the top of the cab. There's the orange lens cover over the bulb and if moisture can get past the lens or build up in the marker unit, the wiring to the light just has a rubber grommet at the fiberglass and the water drips down the wiring. You get a drip from the upper cab and there's no real trace of where it's coming from. It can also get under them and come down the bolts/screws that hold the markers on. I silicone the wiring and bolts inside the cab and check all the seals on the lenses, haven't had one come back for the same issue after doing this.

There's a new updated blue a/c switch for the manual hvac system. I've changed a few so far but it's too early to tell if it's better. It does look like a much better switch and is LED, so I'm hopeful. On a side note, the new stars coming off the line have push button switches on the manual HVAC controls instead of the toggle switch.

Star4900 and vikingswen Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    First I want to say that I really want to love my Star. I love the dash and all the gauges you can fit on it. It's quiet, rides awesome, handles great and looks good. But here's my list.

Truck was delivered with all the optional wood grain panels I ordered scratched.
    Broken and cracked interior panels.
    Warped switches in the dash.
    The windshield wiper linkages sawed through some airlines deep inside the dash in week one.
    The Fresnel lens fell off the peep window immediately.
    The look down mirror above the pass. door made cracks in the door around the bolts.
    The cab filter is useless and a pain to change.
    Came with the wrong rad and engine mounts installed which had to be changed by dealer.
    The blower fan for the heater/ac had to be replaced after first summer as it started squealing. New one lasted a month and it is squealing.
    The blue lighted AC switch actually melts and they don't last more than a few months.
    The light in the climate control panel does not last.
    The exterior temp readout sensor is no good. It reads engine heat and then is constantly beeping telling me there is ice on the road.
    Paint is peeling on the cab
    Signal/headlight flasher module has failed.
    All the steel air and oil lines are already almost rotted off.

And on the DD15.....idler pulleys were all replaced (they come in one module) and two months later started squealing again.

Thing I would change......get rid of the diamond plate SCR and battery/DEF tank covers which are impossible to keep shiny and use flat stainless panels like most other makes.

For all the advertising they do about their "hand-made built in the USA premium trucks, and there's a reason they cost more" hopefully Star looks at these sites and makes improvements to their quality control.

4. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I just found my oil pan leaking. Stopped in at the dealer and was told it is not covered under warranty. 15 month in service and just under 150,000mls. I stopped by Nadina Truck in Houston, BC and asked them about oil pan leak and it is covered since it is less than the 24 month. I guess I will use them from now on since Pacific Power seems to be worthless. I bought the truck from their Toledo, WA location that since has closed due to them selling most of their locations to Valley Freightliner. They kept the Anchorage branch and are a Western Star dealer.
    The shop foreman at Nadina is great and came out and looked at the truck and did some quick research about the warranty. They have parts in stock and I can give him a call when I leave Anchorage to set up appointment. Truck is due for oil change after the next trip anyway and I can kill two birds with one stone.

I believe the seal between cab and fiberglass top is leaking since I took the panel out above the driver seat to have my VHF radio worked on and everything is full of dirt in there. Nice layer of dirt on top of the radio. I guess I will take the sunvisor off and get some seam sealer and caulk that area from the outside.

I am like Star4900 and really want to like my truck, but I could have set in on fire again the other day when the windshield wiper arm came off during a down pore in the Yukon. Luckily the rubber hose from the washer system kept it from flying away and it just bounced around the hood and got stuck behind the air cleaner. Nothing was broken it just decided to come off. Go figure.

The reading light above the fridge is on its way out as well since it takes some patience to get it to work.

Star4900 Thanks this.
  5. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    We should put these together and figure out who to send them to at Western Star. Make them aware of all the stupid little build quality issues. They are all easy fixes and we'd like to continue to buy Star's, but not if they're just going to throw them together half assed.
    Sure not like the quality that was built pre-Daimler.

vikingswen and cnsper Thank this.
  6. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    I think the problem was moving the plant from Canada to Portland and the Carolinas. I have had lots of conversations with Western Star about the truck and their quality control issues. I met the guy that is the go between factory and dealers. He has helped a great deal with trying to resolve some of the issues. I think they outsourced quality control to India and they are watching the trucks on a computer monitor rolling down the assembly line.

On a another note Eric at Nadina Truck told me to watch the plastic brackets along the oil pan that hold the transmission cooler lines since they had a couple of trucks lately where those brackets ate through the lines.

Star4900 Thanks this.
  7. Star4900

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Thanks for the info Vikingswen. Feel free to PM me for contact info if you talk to that rep again. I'd like to talk to him too.

Yes, I noticed all my steel lines are already pretty corroded now after three years.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  8. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Wow, this thread is really making me reconsider my dream glider (LoMax with a Cat and 18 spd).....!!!!!!

I thought Western Star, being a premium brand for Daimler, would surely beat Freightliner build quality....guess not......

vikingswen Thanks this.
  9. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Well, that was my thinking too when I bought mine. I guess the joke is on me. I think the biggest problem is dealer support. A friend of mine had his truck at MC Coy Freightliner in Portland, OR to get a lot of warranty issues fixed. He went on vacation, dropped the truck and they seem to have bend over backwards to make him happy and get things fixed.

I started of with great support from the Toledo, WA Western Star dealer, but after VFI took over and closed the branch it was over. The Anchorage, AK WS dealer doesn't seem to want to fix anything that could be covered by warranty. Trailercraft in Fairbanks, AK just became a WS dealer and I will see how they are to work with since they have the Freightliner dealership in Anchorage, AK.

RERM Thanks this.
  10. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    This is a downer!!!!!

11. vikingswen

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Not to be Debbie Downer. That truck has lots of positives as well. Just can't think of any right now. Just kidding.

I believe if I had better support from the dealers I would be a lot happier. I have no emission problems with the Detroit engine, but would like the Glider better than you never have to worry about it. I think if you stay with the specs you have mentioned and stay with the basic HVAC system a lot of the issues can be prevented. Just make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb before you pick it up and pay for at the dealer.

RERM Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.