Western Star Truck Issues And Fixes

Discussion in 'Western Star Forum' started by vikingswen, May 15, 2016.

1. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    My blue ac light died this week, lasted 68k miles.

I think I've found my leak that's making the passenger floor wet. I believe it is the fresh air door not sealing up properly. When I get back home I'll have my son hose that side of the truck down and see for sure.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    What's up with the paint peeling off the roofs of these trucks??? Can't believe that a 2014 needs a partial painting already...

4. RERM

RERM Road Train Member

Dec 13, 2012
    Chicago, IL
    Dam!!!!..so much for build quality!

5. Cetane+

Cetane+ Road Train Member

Sep 29, 2013
    Albany, NY
    That's what happens when you start building them in the same plants as freightliners.

vikingswen Thanks this.
  6. Oscar the KW

May 19, 2011
    Sadly I think they're still the best built truck. My father in law works for a 200 truck fleet, mostly PB slope nosed and KW T7's, they have had a ton of issues with them.

Cetane+ Thanks this.
  7. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    So far the paint has only peeled off my drip rails above the doors. And the silver plastic covers for my cowl mounted mirrors.

Forgot to mention in my list......the chrome on my plastic mirrors started bubbling after the first year.
    I wonder if they are the same covers as the Freightliner Coronado? They look to be the same size and shape?
    I wouldn't mind using that style with the LED lights.....as my factory Star mirror lights no longer work.
    First time the bulb burnt out I went to change it, took out the screws and heard parts fall inside the mirror housings. Now there was nothing to put the screws back into.
    So had it fixed under warranty. Next bulb burnt, no warranty and the screws just turn and turn. So I give up. No more mirror lights.

8. Oscar the KW

May 19, 2011
    You have to take the cover off to replace the lights.

Star4900 Thanks this.
  9. Star4900

Star4900 Medium Load Member

Mar 16, 2015
    Northern Ontario
    Really? Well that's stupid. Judging by how badly corroded those torx head bolts are under the little round chrome caps.....I'm not even going to go there.

It passed the safety with them out, so they can stay out.

10. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    Well. mine got me in the Yukon. The check engine light came on and the stop engine light came right after that. Like always a perfect location out in BFE and no phone service.
    At least it was an easy fix. The 3/8" hose from the EGR cooler to the overflow tank had rubbed on the air intake ducting. I just cut the bad piece out added a nipple and two hose clamps and topped off the coolant. It is always fun working with the hot coolant and being sprayed. Thanks Western Star for putting stuff together and not giving a ####.

11. vikingswen

vikingswen Road Train Member

Jun 14, 2012
    In the Stratosphere
    On a positive note. I have an appointment at Nadina Truck in Houston, BC to get my oil pan leak fixed on Tuesday morning. Perfect timing since the truck would have been due for an oil change when I got home. I will have them look at some other leaks and see what they come up with as well.

The weather gods are laughing at me once again since I was about to go out and replace my rubber hose with a nice blue silicon hose and it started to rain.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.