What’s your home time?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by asphaltreptile311, Jun 14, 2018.

1. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    I'm glad you found something that works for you. If I could do something like that I would. The only local options where I live would be 16 hour days when you count driving back and forth from the terminal and 6 days a week. The only day off I would have I'd be so tired I would have to sleep all day. So, my family would only see me asleep. At least this way when I come home I can rest a day and then have 5 days in a row to just forget work and enjoy the family. If I could get the kind of hours you have I would do it but they just are not available where I live.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    I’m switching terminals July 1st. Won’t bore you with all the BS on home time I was fed. Also got tons of home time in a truck stop in Denver. The guy decided that was my new home.
    New manager acted happy as can be: I only ask him for a week or two, every two to three months. That’s fine with me.

4. ad356

ad356 Road Train Member

Mar 13, 2017
    milk hauling is huge really, agriculture is a large industry in ny..... not just hauling milk but there are feed hauling jobs, manure hauling jobs, trucks hauling all types of agriculture products. when i got my CDL i got my tanker endorsement right on the spot because i was well aware of the agriculture nature of ny.

still i am blessed to have a such a great route, i know many milk haulers including guys working for the very company that i work for that do not have such good routes. most have to go to the plants, and the plant is a wild card. you pull in there and have no idea what you are getting into, they could have full silos or broken equipment. it happens all of the time.

my route goes like this..... pick up an empty trailer, go to two farms and load. take the loaded trailer back to the yard; drop and hook another empty. i then go to three more farms and load that trailer. take that trailer back to the yard and drop it. that in a nutshell is my day. i average a little more then 100 miles per day. i honestly spend as much time loading as a do driving. the pump flows around 800 lbs per minute and i am loading between 65-70k lbs of milk. so allot of my time is actually spent standing around waiting for it to load. i also have to pull samples, change the wash chemicals, do a milk ticket, and fill out a "barn sheet" but all of that takes not much more then 5 minutes.

as long as my route remains nearly un-altered im not considering anything else. im quite happy with it.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  5. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    There are many many out there doing that. Even though their job title is Manager, Supervisor, Salesman, Janitor...and the list goes on.

6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    On average I stayed home one day for every 10 I was out. If I spent a lot of time running up and down I 5 I might be out several months. Being single I really was only concerned that my mom got to her doctor appointments. There was times I told my FM to leave me alone and I would stay home 10 days or more. I also sometime took (hometime) on the road if I was close to a relative or good friend. I had a good friend from my Air Force days that lived in Barstow. Back in my repo days I stayed with him a lot.

7. Wargames

Wargames Captain Crusty

Jul 22, 2010
    WI.
    Monday - Friday, 5:00am - 15:30, no weekends. guaranteed 40

I love my job

8. Zeviander

Zeviander Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2015
    Winnipeg, MB, CA
    Usually it's leave Monday, get back late Friday, early Saturday and go back out Monday. Wife would like to see me more, but if I kept taking two full day weekends, I'd end up sitting somewhere every 5th week because the leave day would be Wed/Thu and delivery is usually 2nd or 3rd day and reload is 3rd or 4th day.

And shippers we deal with run bankers hours or are only open M-F.

9. bentstrider83

bentstrider83 Road Train Member

Dec 26, 2011
    Portales, NM
    Sounds almost like a dairy loading gig right there. 16+ hours and the schedule throws you out of whack each day or night. You're either catching Z's at a picnic area before the next scheduled pickup, or at the house. I'm not all that surprised by some of the single vehicle, traffic accidents with four-wheelers around here. Worked to the bone, trying to get things done, and then snooze at the wrong time.

As for me, two days off every week and come in between 6 and 10 at night for shuttling trailers between the dairies, or the yard and the processing plants. Long nights there, but sleep could be easily caught while waiting in line to be unloaded.

Truckermania Thanks this.
  10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I run 3500 to 4000 miles across the country and back as fast as I can (5.5 to 8 days, and usually completely expend my 70 hrs) then I'm home for 34 to 72 hrs. Depending on what is going on with my family (birthdays, anniversary, holidays, births, deaths, weddings, baptisms, ECT...)

11. big1troy

big1troy Light Load Member

Jan 20, 2018
    Phew yall must love those trucks
    LTL is awesome I'm home everyday no weekends and I'm making 80k on 2000 miles a week. Can't think of a better situation.

bentstrider83 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.