What amount makes it worth it?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by cat13, Sep 22, 2020.

1. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

First one I got to drive on my own. 83 cabover freightliner 350 BC and No power steering. So I'm younger.

Dads first truck as a owner op was i think a 61 or 62 IH daycab gasser and a 32foot Brown flatbed. Ran all over the country leased to Hennis freight lines.

So like he used to say. I've "had it easy".

Cattleman84 and 650cat425 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. abyliks

abyliks Road Train Member

May 2, 2010
    ludlow MA
    If you are trying to “make money” running one truck you will never be happy, You can make money with 5 of them, but then you need 4 other whiney ##### to drive the rest. Personally, I can’t stand over educated office bean counters and their power trips, or driving under powered plastic junk. Also some basic tax knowledge and a good accountant can really help you appear to make less then a company driver, while having a better quality of life.

It’s really all what makes you happy, since you are the one that has to get up every day and do it

4. Plecc94

Plecc94 Bobtail Member

Nov 6, 2020
    I would take a generous pay cut to still be my own boss. If you only care about money to be made, then trucking is the last industry you want to be in, on either side of the field.

5. jamespmack

jamespmack Road Train Member

Mar 25, 2014
    OH

Whoooooa. Someone made money?

6. cat13

cat13 Light Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    Central FL
    Finally decided to give up the truck. Sold it yesterday. The market here in Florida just isn't worth it to me right now. Maybe in the future I will revisit the idea but right now it just isn't working for us anymore. I will be making about the same as a company driver as I was running aggregate with my own truck.
    20210104_093807.jpg

Last edited: Aug 3, 2021
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.