what antenna should i get

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by carg618, Mar 22, 2018.

1. mike5511

mike5511 Road Train Member

May 15, 2011
    NW Arkansas
    Now I know a guy that won many key down contests with a 7' Skip Shooter......and he won over the 108" steel whips......numerous times. Something about take off angle and so forth.

Sgonza101 Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Were all other factors identical?
    Same radio and amp tuned by the same guy installed in identical vehicles using identical cables and connections?

4. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    You’ve never been to a keydown or watched a keydown video I take it?

5. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    The conditions you describe are ridiculously unachievable so we must evaluate the results on the information provided

rabbiporkchop and shogun Thank this.
  6. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I don’t know Tim. I always take every person’s radio I talk to, measure the power wire length, gauge, count the strands and amp clamp it for power draw. Look at the foam insulation in the coax, jumper length, angle of antenna due to road speed and wind resistance. Lp100 measures output, bird43 for reflect all into a dummy load. Conduct a 30 minute in person interview with the tech, verify his test bench against mine.

Divide that by the times I roll my eyes reading things on this forum and it’s pretty scientific.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  7. skellr

skellr Road Train Member

Jul 17, 2011
    The Village, Portmeirion
    Holy molly. That looks like ones of those 80's fads that died out. I've seen stuff like that in the cb shop "bargan bin", it was there for a reason...

Whats with the elements sticking out like that? Not trying to be a "ground plane"?

8. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    It adds capacitance without lengthening antenna or the coil.

skellr Thanks this.
  9. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    Which means the antenna can't take the credit, and the results are meaningless.

10. rabbiporkchop

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I have watched a couple of those videos. There is no useful information in any of them.

11. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    Why is it every time someone posts what a radio accomplished, you automatically question it? It’s like you are trying to diminish its accomplishment because it wasn’t done in a scientific laboratory with all variables controlled. You offer your anecdotal evidence, which you expect people to accept at face value. Shall we apply the same standard to you from now on?

You say you heard radios 40 miles away in Pennsylvania that were stock? Prove it. Show us their antennas and radios and output, location , validate your claims. Same for the people you heard in the desert, prove every aspect of your story. Then you can stand on facts and not regurgitate what Hard Drive told you.

I posted a video last week talking 50 miles in my mobile to a base station, I can do 70 miles or better to the same station and 80+ to others. From now on how about we discount everything you say without concrete proof.

Timin770 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.