What are the common issues with Kenworths?

Discussion in 'Kenworth Forum' started by polythane, Jan 17, 2013.

1. polythane

polythane Bobtail Member

Jan 17, 2013
    Hi everyone, I am doing some research into the mechanics of Kenworths and wanted to pick the brains of people who deal with them. I make polyurethane plastic for a living (I won't name the company, I'm not trying to spam) and we have been told that sway-bar bushings commonly go. We have made and sold oversized polyurethane sway bar bushings a couple of times to a Kenworth shop from the town I'm from and they were really happy with the results. What I want to know is, is this a 'very' common issue in all Kenworths? We don't specialize in truck parts, we primarily make forklift wheels and scraper blades for conveyor belts for mining businesses but if this is something people look for we may start making them full time. Also, are there other issues with Kenworths that can be fixed with an industrial strength plastic?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. oldslowchevy

oldslowchevy Light Load Member

Mar 31, 2012
    morristown tn
    which models and years would help our abunch.

4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    The steering wheel shaft just below the wheel is jacketed with plastic trim. Matches the interior looks nice but rattles badly. Especially when cab is cold inside. And the bolts are tight.

Also with the duel exhaust up the side of air ride cab, the bushings squeak at all times and don't last very long. I think there called upper exhaust bushings.

08 kw..... Tks

5. king Q

king Q Road Train Member

Jul 26, 2010
    Johannesburg sa
    I think what he is asking is whether there are any parts regardless of model that they could possibly make parts for.
    I assume Kenworth because they have a contact at a local Kenworth shop.

6. kwforage

kwforage Road Train Member

Jun 3, 2007
    Wisconsin
  7. bubbanbrenda

bubbanbrenda Road Train Member

Feb 27, 2011
    Middletown,Oh.
    Its not just KW they all wear bushings if you want to create a "miracle" bushing, make one for the exhaust on an KW aerocab that does not squeek 2 hours after installing. Let me know if you need a beta tester.

8. black_dog106

black_dog106 Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2009
    MA
    Adding to kwforage... energy suspension makes some HD stuff also.
    But seeing that your in this business, im sure you are way ahead of us with these suppliers.
    Thank you for asking the guys doing the actual trucking, what they would like improved(many bosses,ceo's etc could learn from asking the guys, doing the work in the field).

:biggrin_25514:

9. heavyhaulerss

heavyhaulerss Road Train Member

Dec 23, 2009
    AL/TN BORDER
    Common issue is they cost too much

10. idk???

idk??? Bobtail Member

Dec 20, 2012
    just dont buy one with a dpf

11. Oscar the KW

Oscar the KW Going Tarpless

May 19, 2011
    Kenworth has one, no more squeeky rubber, it is made of plastic, Mine has been in there for over a year now with zero noise.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.