What convictions prevent getting CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by roundhouse, Jan 13, 2022.

1. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
  4. TROOPER to TRUCKER

TROOPER to TRUCKER Anything Is Possible

Dec 15, 2014
    Charlotte, NC
    I think as long as you have a valid license you will not have a problem with a cdl school. Now companies that have a school to put you in there trucks would be a different story.

5. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    What is so hard about reading that the part where this is only for current CDL holders keeps getting overlooked?

No one is saying a CDL can't be taken away. The question is, what prevents one from getting a CDL. Two different things.

wis bang, tscottme and austinmike Thank this.
  6. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    [​IMG]

Everybody is walking past the right answer. If you can hold a regular driver's license you can get a CDL. Now, there are some things you can do AS a CDL holder that can get it suspended, but as long as you can get a regular license you can get the CDL.

wis bang, tscottme, ZVar and 1 other person Thank this.
  7. Terlingua

Terlingua Medium Load Member

Oct 24, 2021
    The only thing I find relevant to this in the Texas Transportation Code is this:

Sec. 522.025. LIMITATIONS ON ISSUANCE OF LICENSE OR PERMIT. (a) The department may not issue a commercial driver's license or commercial learner's permit to a person who is disqualified from driving a commercial motor vehicle or while the person's driver's license or driving privilege is suspended, revoked, or canceled in any state.​

To me, that says the same offenses that disqualify someone who already has a CDL would also apply to someone applying for a CLP or CDL.

8. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Not really. If you read what is required to be disqualified, the very first thing is the driver must be a CDL holder. If he doesn't hold a CDL, nothing on the chart matters as that is a requirement of the disqualification.

From your link above...”If you hold a commercial driver license (CDL) or commercial learner permit (CLP), you may have your CDL or CLP disqualified for a specified amount of time if you are convicted of certain offenses. A list of the most common types of convictions with the disqualification period is provided in the table below."

9. Blu_Ogre

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    Maybe my perspective is off. I was viewing through the perspective of interstate regs.

Intrastate/Farm is a different set of regs.

10. Blu_Ogre

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
  11. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Even interstate regs one has to hold a CDL to be disqualified.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.