What convictions prevent getting CDL?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by roundhouse, Jan 13, 2022.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    The keyword in that one section is disqualified. This means holding a CDL and getting it suspended through those tables in 383.51. On the latter, it's important to remember that also means you can't have a regular driver's license either. I know of no state that has any rules in place that blocks a person with a regular unrestricted driver's license from getting a CDL.

Rideandrepair and ZVar Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    i agree with you bro...!!

[​IMG]

4. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    [​IMG]

Rideandrepair and buddyd157 Thank this.
  5. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    I was self censoring...... Needed to take a break.

Unfortunately this site does not have a delete button or I changed my mind and do not wish to reply button.

Rideandrepair and buddyd157 Thank this.
  6. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    What I do is self-report the comment and ask that it be removed. Most of the time it's gone within a day!

Rideandrepair and Blu_Ogre Thank this.
  7. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

I don't think there are convictions that prevent you from getting a CDL. CDLs are issued by the states, not the feds. If there are disqualifying convictions they would be on the state's web sites.

Rideandrepair Thanks this.
  8. wis bang

wis bang Road Train Member

Jan 12, 2011
    Levittown, PA
    CDL is a federal program adminstered by the states. There is no list of what is legal; only what you can't do. If you have been granted the privledge of driving by your state you are qualified to get a CDL...

Here in PA 'open carry' of a firearm{hand gun/short barreled stuff} [within some limitations] is not forbiden by law.

New people, confused by this are always asking people to actually 'cite' the law making it legal and are extra confused when told there is none, just what you can't do is codified in the law. OP is looking for something that dosen' exist.

9. Moose1958

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    You bring up a very interesting point that I 100% agree with. I would also like to add too.

This is why people should NEVER listen to truck stop Attorney's OR for that matter drivers that swear their safety depts say something is legal or illegal. In the world of trucking Title, 49 CFR 300 series rules can be some of the most complex sets of rules you can see. Because there are so many different departments within the FMCSA sometimes these rules can be in conflict with each other, or seem that way. Then add to this so many of the rules leave a lot of discretionary power to the state enforcement officers that Texas may handle something differently than Georgia or Ohio will. Most states work closely with the CVSA to standardize enforcement, but this is a slow process. This is why I sometimes get angry when I see someone take a question asked out of context and give anywhere from a totally wrong answer to an answer that is not 100% correct!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.