What dashcams are best ?

Discussion in 'Trucking Electronics, Gadgets and Software Forum' started by homesick, Jul 30, 2022.

1. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    A guy I know did just that a while back. It was a bad accident with injuries. My friend was not at fault and had the video evidence. The driver of the other vehicle left the road, swerved back into the road, and crossed the center line hitting my friend as he passed by with his wife and grandchild. If I understand it correctly after watching the video the Texas Trooper asked the other man if he wanted to change his story. Also just based on that video the Trooper charged the other man with reckless driving and at fault. His insurance company paid for the car as well as his wife's medical bills.

This right here is why I gave my daughter and son-in-law both cameras.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Another Canadian driver

Another Canadian driver Road Train Member

Nov 14, 2021
    ALBERTA
    It gets you amazing results.
    I used it in Dryden ON when OPP was called on me.
    The offender was arrested for multiple traffic violations and lying to the police.
    Good times.

4. mickeyrat

mickeyrat Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2011
    on my 30 min break
    Am running my 3rd Vantrue cam. Latest is the X4S. has dual cam capability. records up to 4k. loop recording. park mode. motion detection. wifi at 2.4 or 5 ghz. downloadable to phone via app.

can screenshot and zoom in.... for things like this. ....

5. Rum

Rum Bobtail Member

Feb 22, 2019
    I also had this dashcam in the past and with most computers you need a dongle to insert the sd cards into to transfer and read the data quickly instead of usb connecting the camera to computer. I did connect it in the past with a chrome book and uploaded files into the cloud. Your biggest issue with any dashcam you likely get will be the quality of your sd card. Half the money will probably go to one that can loop a full 24hrs at 1080p 24fps and will be reliable for months of recording.

A lot of people run the Garmin cameras for the ease of saving incidents. I'd probably review between Blackvue and Garmin if that is in your price bracket. Me now, not wanting to spend the money would probably reuse one of my old cell phones and install a recording app and go that route but than you have the issue of an oversized recording device exposed in full sunlight. You'd probably be fine with most Amazon cameras. Ideally you'd want the camera to be able to obtain the license plates in low light situations and as long as it does that your using a good dashcam. There's tons of dashcam reviews in action on youtube, a deep dark rabbit hole to research.

6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    The Viofo 119 suggestions caused me to look further.
    I’m not real happy with what I got. A few years old cam with memory card. Doesnt come up with good video. Even though it’s supposed to. Change settings etc. still not happy.
    Got the newest Garmin dash cam. 67w I think it is. All Garmin does is try to get me to pay monthly for cloud. I don’t need that bs.
    Looked at others. Everybody claiming the best. I had tried one that was supposed to be best. Every step of the way installing was a hassle. Reminded me of my old ms days. Having to fool around to get anything to work. I sent it back. Told them I don’t have the time to get it installed.
    I liked what I saw on the Viofo. Hope I didn’t goof. Got a 129 coming.

7. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    I had the v2 in my pickup, and I liked it enough that getting the v3 for my semi was a no brainer. It's an excellent camera for the price. Did you get the hard wire kit?

8. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    I've been happy with my Garmin 46. Easy enough to get video and picture onto my phone. Video and picture quality is great

The only problem I've had is the cam thinking I had a wreck every time I hit a big bump/pothole. All it does is save the video around the 'crash' that I have to delete later. You folks with shocks (pfft!) might not have that problem

9. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Didn’t get hardwire. My truck has cigarette lighter outlets that stay energized when key is off.
    I still might get hardwire. The cigarette lighters really aren’t a very good connection.
    Got polarizing filter.

10. God prefers Diesels

God prefers Diesels Road Train Member

Jun 26, 2020
    South Texas
    IIRC, you need that hardwire kit to make the camera go into parking mode. Can't remember 100% for sure. It's really easy to install, too.

11. RocketScott

RocketScott Medium Load Member

Apr 10, 2013
    Kentucky
    The Garmin is the same way. 3 wires: ground, constant power, and an acc signal wire. I haven't hooked it up yet
    Parking Mode Cable | Garmin

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.