What do you all think?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by -MadMax-, Apr 21, 2012.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    Weather forecast stinks lots of rain. I'll be one and done tomorrow .
    Been with the same company 20+ years part of the bulk hauling game.
    Forecast for rest of week looks ok .

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. hhmag70

hhmag70 Light Load Member

Mar 18, 2012
    Trevorton,Pa
    Are you in the Nazareth area? There are (were) several outfits right near there, Silfies, Venezia, Rollin Johnson - can't tell you anything about them but maybe you can find one worth checking out. Bulkmatic was hiring up in Martins Creek (Con Agra) not that long ago.

4. frogmeister

frogmeister Medium Load Member

May 28, 2011
    fort worth,tx
    Wrong local driving does pay.I just landed a gig starting at 60k a yr.I only have four years in.They are out there.You have to be persistent.

TruckerzWifey and BrenYoda883 Thank this.
  5. Ruthless

Ruthless Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.

6. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    If in fact you're phone is really dead and you can't find the charger...BUY A NEW CHARGER

7. Cranky Yankee

Cranky Yankee Cranky old ######

Jan 31, 2012
    Green Bay Wi
    in my best jeff foxworthy voice HERE'S UR SIGN

8. TruckerzWifey

TruckerzWifey Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2012
    easton, pa
    I dont get it......?

9. TruckerzWifey

TruckerzWifey Bobtail Member

Feb 23, 2012
    easton, pa

10. -MadMax-

-MadMax- Light Load Member

Feb 29, 2012
    Pennsylvania
    @Ruthless

I'll start at the top :)

I too got to thinking about the % pay and surmised that indeed it MUST be after all expenses. I don't mind the % pay... it's just that according to what I'm getting paid, the loads aren't paying much.

As far as equipment, I've gotten used to my truck. '99 model International Day cab. In fact, I've gotten quite sensitive over it when the mechanics laugh and call it a piece of ****. Can't help it. Gotten used to it in 3 weeks I guess. You know how it is, start to learn all it's habits and what it's like. And the mechanics will keep me on the road safe. I've came to them several times with things and they are eager to keep it safe. I appreciate that.

I WAS under the impression that Dispatch WAS a helping, guiding hand. I was never really told anything different, except for the one guy who spent most of his life trucking, I was told HE could help me out of a jam. I have since learned the error of this thinking and have come to rely upon myself, my truckers atlas, and "Maps" App for my iPhone. Which helped a lot yesterday when I passed my destination and had to turn around. Using the Maps App I noticed I could just cut through a parking lot instead of going a mile outta my way.
    Now, THIS, answers your question about why it takes me much longer. I get lost. lol. AND... I try to keep it around 5-7mph OVER the posted speed limit. Other drivers, I know because I've ran with 2 others one time and 1 at another time, and I couldn't keep up with them. It wasn't a better truck either. It was them exceeding the speed limits by a higher margin than I'm prepared to do.

Yes, I was a bit naive about coming into the trucking industry. I really enjoy driving a truck and thought longevity by doing something you enjoy vs. doing other things "just to get by". And I had to make a decision, and quick. Different story. Moving on... I acknowledge the fact I'm working from the ground up and accept that, knowing that one day, just as in every OTHER area of work, things improve, you learn, and earn a rep/abilities, as you go, and are more desirable.

I have signed up for the past 2 Saturdays. I was brought into work on Friday in the after noon and bout time I done a couple of pre-loads and then took a load to Bridge Port NJ, there wasn't any work for my HOS requirements.
    Sign up sheet is posted today. I never got that call so I'll have to sign up tomorrow. Which, leads me to address the final point :)

I WAS being facetious about the phone charger. I was irritated. I did not turn my phone off. I'm some what of a paranoid I guess and always assume the worse, and assumed that I was being singled out, being new and all, and when there aint work, I go "on call". I just wanted to send a message that "I don't go on call. I work, or I have off" - you'll probably say it's not the right attitude to have, but I can't help but think that most companies (and people) given the chance to exploit/use/manipulate you, WILL. Regardless, as I realized, I would only be hurting myself. Financially, I can not afford to take any days off. That is why I volunteer for Saturdays.

So, in closing, I hope you understand more of where I'm coming from.
    And the offer still stands:
    Advice? Questions? Shoot. I'm always up for constructive criticism, etc.
    And, I do not feel you were harsh or rude at all in your post. I have seen that at least once already here and have no desire to carry on conversations in that tone.

regards~

11. Ruthless

Aug 28, 2010
    The City.
    Alrite then, you sound level-headed enough. Only general advice I'd give is stick it out, do your best and do a job you can be proud of. Always keep your eyes and ears open to new opportunities, but fully investigate before taking a leap or even leaning into any other positions or companies. As you deliver to the same customers more and more you'll get lost less, and likely find ways to save time (i.e. routes that are shorter/less crowded, or ways to do your job on the ground that shorten it up) that will cause you to be more productive and be more valuable to your employer.
    Speed limits are important I suppose, maybe someone will flame me for wording it like that..I drive the speed at which I get the best "bang for my buck" so to speak as much as possible, as I pay for my own fuel. If you feel uncomfortable speeding that's your perogative and I see nothing wrong with it (long as you stay to the right as necessary).
    Good luck and safe travels.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.