What do you make at Knight?

Discussion in 'Knight' started by Owner's Operator, Feb 7, 2010.

1. Owner's Operator

Owner's Operator Medium Load Member

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    I was wondering what could one expect to make a week at Knight? Also how often do you get home and for how long? Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. jtrnr1951

jtrnr1951 Road Train Member

Home weekly...........

Paid Weakly !!!!!!!!!!

4. Owner's Operator

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    Specifics please?

5. JustSonny

JustSonny Big Dummy

Oct 22, 2009
    Troutman NC
    :hal

Hang in there, someone will be with you shortly!!!!

6. Sad_Panda

Sad_Panda Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2006
    Problem with your question is Knight is so all over the place, it depends where you work. My guess is you are going to be working with Jake and Elwood Blues in Joliet, and I don't work with those people much, thank god. The Joliet shop people are effin' scary.

Like "Thank you drive through" was their last job scary.

7. 3.14

3.14 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2009
    Arizona
    i make peanuts. fortunately i have other avenues of revenue outside of this industry. the best paycheck i've had at knight was $720 and some cents. i did a multi-stop driver unload. i got shafted on the stop pay, though. it was one of those lovely ruan battery runs that had 11 stops within the phoenix area. this was back in the summer time. i was sweating so much that i didn't take a leak the entire day.

with e-logs in full effect at most of the terminals, you CANNOT expect to make more than $500 a week. if you do. you must be willing to wear some knee pads, take it up the rear, and don't expect to get a reach-a-round.

since i'm express, i stay out anywhere from 1 to 3 or 4 weeks, and get a week off without any grief. the downside is that i slip-seat. the express drivers' trucks aren't ever reset, so we all get stuck in slow ### trucks all the time. the slowest truck i've had so far did 59mph pedal, 57.5mph cruise control. it was pure hell going to the central time zone with it. i spent only a week and a half in that POS before i took a week off. i hated having swift drivers blow by me as if i had been backing up.

Last edited: Feb 8, 2010
  8. Owner's Operator

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    That is nothing, I need to make at least a grand a week to go back on the road.

9. stepnfetchit

stepnfetchit Medium Load Member

Jun 23, 2009
    Monett MO
    Hate to tell you but forget it. Just put a pencil to it. To make a grand a week you would need 2500 miles x .38= $950.00 and there's not many OTR jobs out there paying that. Most companies start you out at .34-.36 per miles or less and you work your way up the scale. Hell as an owner-operator I rarely cleared a $1000.00 a week for my self. I'm not saying I didn't make good money cause I did but a grand week is gonna take awhile. I'm sure there's drivers that make that but they've been at it a while or with their company for a period of time. JMO

10. Owner's Operator

Aug 4, 2008
    Chicago IL
    I really don't think asking for a thousand a week is asking for too much. I was making that fresh out of CDL school running to California and back. The problem is that I really don't want to go work for one of these small eastern European companies in Chicago because they pay with 1099 and have no benefits. I wanted to go with a large American company like Knight but not for that kind of money.

11. truckerdave1970

truckerdave1970 On Probation

Dec 15, 2008
    Rochester, NY
    If you find that $1000/week job, please let us know. BTW, It WONT be driving for the Knight family!
    Personaly, I agree that OTR drivers SHOULD be making AT LEAST $1000/week but those days are over!
    Because of all the bottom feeders and CDL mills turning more steering holders every day, we will NEVER see that much money again!

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.