what does forced dispatch mean????

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Joani, Sep 23, 2008.

1. Skateboardr'swife

Skateboardr'swife Light Load Member

Feb 27, 2008
    Illinois
    You summed it up in a nutshell! Worked out, gonna eat a half pound of chocolate and curl up with a book.. I feel better already! Truthfully helped just getting it off my chest! have a good night all :yes2557:

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Iwanttobeatrucker

Iwanttobeatrucker Light Load Member

Jul 31, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    I read on a different post that if a dispatcher tries to force you to run illegal, hang up the phone, contact them on Qualcom, tell them that you only have X number of hours to run legal before you have to take your reset or 8 hr break and ask them "do you really want me to run illegal in order to take that load?" They will tell you NO then, because you would have a record of them on the Qualcom history and it would be their azzes if you turned it over to management. The other thing that someone said that I think is important is, dispatchers work for you, not the other way around. If they dont work for you, request a new one. Just my two cents.:biggrin_25525:

4. MGASSEL

MGASSEL Road Train Member

Mar 27, 2007
    Co
    It is a 10 hour break not 8

5. Scarecrow03

Scarecrow03 Road Train Member

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I would just like to chime in here to let all you new folks know that dispatchers "forcing" drivers to run illegally, while it does happen at times, is NOT the industry norm AT ALL!!

I've had more than my fair share of (as AfterShock would say) big truck truck drivin' jobs in my short 5 year tenure, and even the small company with about 30-50 trucks never "forced" me to run illegal. I've not always ran legal, but that wasn't because anyone "forced" me to. Well, no one except that guy I shave with in the mirror every morning.

As to the original question in the original post, forced dispatch simply means you take the load assigned to you without any arguments or face the consequences which could be termination. Now, a good dispatcher (kind of an oxymoron, ain't it?) will be aware of a driver's hours available and make arrangements as necessary to insure a load is delivered in a legal, yet timely, fashion.

Basically all I'm saying is that unless you're driving for a small company of less than 50 trucks or so, or an all owner operator outfit, you will most likely be forced dispatch and you will be expected to run legal. If you're ever "forced" (how can someone 1,000 miles away force anyone to do anything??? :biggrin_25512:) to run illegal and you're not comfortable with that, don't do it. Hang up the phone with dispatch and get the safety director on the line. If you want to be a renegade and run two logbooks or loose leaf logs, go ahead. Remember, though, you're doing so on your own in the eyes of the law and the courts.

AfterShock and ssbowles Thank this.
  6. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California
    YeAH!
    Same here.

But'cha know,........... there ARE daze I'd rather not have to contend
    with that guy in the mirror. Don't he have nuthin' better to do than
    haunt me?
    Scheese!
    Why don't that image get a life?

WhO IS that guy, ........ anyway? :smt102 :biggrin_25525:

7. doubledragon5

doubledragon5 Road Train Member

Jun 8, 2008
    Lewisville TX
    All I can say is this about force dispatch. If they want it picked up on a particular day and time, fine so long as I have the hours period.. Swift tried that force dispatch thing at one time, but when the hrs weren't there, they had no problems pulling it...

8. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I dunno who he is, but he's sure gotten me in a whole lot more trouble than anyone (-thing?) else in my life. :yes2557:

He likes to make goofy faces when it's only me lookin' at him too. :biggrin_2554:

9. AfterShock

AfterShock Road Train Member

Sep 19, 2007
    Inland Empire, California

I get those same urges, amigo. :yes2557:

HeY!

You don't 'spose we've driven down the same roads,
    do ya? :biggrin_25526:

10. forgotten1

forgotten1 Light Load Member

Jul 20, 2008
    corcoran, ca
    I work for a non-forced dispatch company, but lets be clear about something. If you are picky about what loads you will take even at a non-forced dispatch company you won't be the planners first priority.

Planners are trying to cover the loads on their board and if you aren't part of the solution but part of the problem it only makes since that you'll be pushed aside till they have their board taken care of. The solution to this is to have a good working relationship with your DM so he knows what you like to do or don't like to do.

ssbowles and AfterShock Thank this.
  11. Scarecrow03

Sep 27, 2006
    In Your Head
    I don't believe they've built that many new roads since your day, amigo. :biggrin_25517: So I'm 100% positive we've driven down the same roads. :yes2557:

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.