What does home every weekend really mean

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zacgehret, Jul 16, 2018.

1. Zacgehret

Zacgehret Light Load Member

Jun 21, 2018
    Kilbourne il
    I would think it means home Friday night and leave out Monday morning but my brother in law says most the time it means u get home Saturday night and leave out again Sunday night so I was hoping some people could way in on this

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. buddyd157

buddyd157 Road Train Member

May 25, 2017
    under a shade tree
    in trucking it could mean ANY 2 consecutive days off...not necessarily Sat/Sun....

although, my current job, i am home Sat morns, leave out Mon nights.

one LTL linehaul job i had, same thing

one OTR job i had (east coast run) i could be home thursday, work local friday morning, and back out sunday night, or be home friday, and out sunday night.(and be home during the week as well.)

aussiejosh Thanks this.
  4. James122

James122 Light Load Member

Jun 28, 2018
    United States
    When I was otr I had 4 days off so it didn't matter. My uncle got weekends off. He would get home Friday evening and leave out Sunday night.

5. Truckermania

Truckermania Road Train Member

Oct 13, 2011
    Sturgis,SD
    Typically it means you get home for a 34 hour reset.

austinmike, tscottme, Bean Jr. and 3 others Thank this.
  6. 201

201 Road Train Member

Apr 16, 2014
    high plains colorado
    Aside from salary claims, it's the #2 BS story for companies, always has been.

Metallica88, Lab work, Kyle G. and 4 others Thank this.
  7. VIDEODROME

VIDEODROME Road Train Member

Jun 7, 2007
    angola, in
    When I was OTR/Region out for 2 week home for 3 days, I submitted a Return to Duty time. I'd imagine our 1 week guys do something similar.

8. NewbiusErectus

NewbiusErectus Medium Load Member

Jun 27, 2012
    My one and only "home weekends" job was typically 48 hrs min. Sometimes 3 days off, sometimes 4. Once in a while, just enough for a reset. And in my two years there, I worked thru a weekend one time I think.

Overall i did 2-4 tens in the truck per week (average of 3) depending on the load(s), mostly home a night or two during the week. Holidays off/paid and 2 weeks vac.

Typically, I'd get home Friday around noon, then head out Monday morning or late Sunday night. The best part was knowing my schedule a week in advance.

60k, no touch/non-haz chem tanker, laid back small company/private fleet. As my 2nd job, it felt like I died and went to heaven, esp following up my rookie year at Schneider Bulk :D

Metallica88 and buddyd157 Thank this.
  9. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    You will spend friday getting close to home. Arrive sometime Sat. Too tired, cranky and out of sorts to be worth anything to your family. After you reemerge from your cave at dinner you might spend a nice evening with everyone. Dispatch is calling sunday morning ready to go yet? Got a load that delivers 1000 miles away monday and yer already getting late. Not even sunup and you are reloading your tractor (Hopefully at the house...) and cranking her to operating pressure and temp.

That's home time for you out here. If you are lucky.

My favorite hometime? Well consider this. Blacktop paving from say early March all the way until first frost sometime in October.

Go home late October through Feb on unemployment which is pretty good and supported by your boss. Your only task is to stay healthy, fit and ready to work when that phone rings early spring.

My parents had lots of trouble with that concept. But blacktop being what we did with it simply does not work in winter after the last hay is gathered in at the farm.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  10. SteveScott

SteveScott Road Train Member

Nov 10, 2015
    I've had it mean a full weekend off and back to work on Monday, and I've had it mean 34 hours off duty, and that included the 2 hour drive home from my former terminal. When it's just your reset hours off, it really sucks because that isn't enough time to recover from a hard 70 hour week. You get home mentally and physically exhausted, and you're still tired going back to work. I'll never work like that again.

Metallica88 and stillwurkin Thank this.
  11. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    Now that is different. If you know you are exhausted after being out a while, go to your Boss and say I need 10 days to do anything but truck. I don't even want to see a truck. I am too tired right now and am dangerous to safety.

If your boss is worth anything, you will go home and decompress for 10 days. Ive had to do that a couple times. But on the 11th Day? You have sold your soul; you better be bright eyed, bushy tailed and motivated to run.

Metallica88 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.