What does this mean?

Discussion in 'CB Radio Forum' started by Smaggs, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Hey all,

I want to tell a short, but odd story about something that happened while listening to channel 19 while driving my personal vehicle home from work.

I kept hearing these clicks. Dead key clicks, but I didn't realize that's what they were. I thought at first they were some kind of interference. Then, I noticed it was happening in patterns. One, three, five, two, etc. No particular order. Thinking nothing would happen, I dead keyed one time. I got an immediate reply with a click. Then I did two... it did two. After about 15-20 seconds of this, a creepy voice comes over and says, "go down two". So I go to 17. I hear the clicks again. So I start answering with the same amount of key taps. Then the creepy sounding voice comes on and says "where you at?", and mumbles something I couldn't quite understand. Not because the signal sounded far off (I'm using a Galaxy DX 979 that's peaked and tuned with a Stryker long whip antenna on my trunk lid, so I'd imagine I'm not reaching very far.) I suspect the person was close, but talking quietly on purpose.

I was almost to my house, so I just shut the radio off. I thought it was odd, and the dude on the other end was talking like he was whispering or something.

What did I just encounter? I've been using radios pretty regularly since 1998, and I've never heard anything like this. Had the person not sounded the way he did, I likely would have answered. I figure if it was someone needing help, the request for help would have been the first thing said, or he would have used channel 9.

I was just curious if this is some sort of code or something that I've never heard of or if I stumbled into the "dark web" of citizens band radio...

Hope you're all well!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. CheeseCracker

CheeseCracker Bobtail Member

Sep 9, 2019
    Sounds like the guy was trying to find the company of another man without shouting it out. This radio clicking thing used to be pretty popular around pickle parks.

4. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
    Beaver with a lever

5. Smaggs

Smaggs Pie Crust

Apr 12, 2011
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ah. I was thinking that might be it. Just weird, because there are zero pickle parks or truck stops in my area. Closest ones are an hour away.

Probably just trying his luck hoping someone local would bite. Thanks for the input

Texas_hwy_287 and x1Heavy Thank this.
  6. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    You just experienced the good buddy mating call for the 1st time.

7. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    Lmao !

He was a road doctor and he wanted to give you a "physical".

8. Timin770

Timin770 Road Train Member

May 27, 2011
    Canton, GA
  9. jammer910Z

jammer910Z Road Train Member

May 28, 2015
    I saw that episode.
    EPIC !

10. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    A real man would roar on the radio. The rest of the jungle will hide. especially the female.

Now if a man roared and the female could not be bothered to get away, then you know this one is not made correctly.

That should be enough for you to stay out of trouble that way.

I better shut up. God only knows where we are headed after this decade is put away.

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  11. rabbiporkchop

rabbiporkchop Road Train Member

Feb 9, 2012
    Wapwallopen, Pa
    I saw a YRC driver that looked like that once

Texas_hwy_287 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.