What "exit" should I take

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by jeff614, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    OH I forgot to offer this advice -

DO NOT THINK that working for a small company is better than working for a Mega, many many many small companies will treat you like absolute *******.

KevinM816, lovesthedrive and Lepton1 Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    So true, and I don't think it matters whether or not it's a trucking business. Can be hit or miss, regardless. I worked for a small outfit and it was like family...until one of the partners brought in his good for nuthin' son. That caused so much turmoil that all of the key employees left. That place is a shell of what it used to be. Very, very sad.

lovesthedrive Thanks this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Yeah I bought a fleet of 10 trucks and 12 drivers about 7 years ago. The owner was such a prick that the drivers would cause problems for the customers to cause a problem for the owner.

So I got a great deal the owner just wanted to dump the problem onto someone else.

What problems?

I sat down with each driver individually, making no promises and asked them what did they think was wrong.

Every one of them to tell me that it was the owner's fault for everything and it was putting his son and daughter in charge of the drivers that was the cause for everything.

These drivers are top performers in my business, they are happy with what they are doing.

Slowmover1 and spindrift Thank this.
  5. jeff614

jeff614 Bobtail Member

Sep 10, 2009
    northern va
    Wow, lots more replies! Thanks to everyone who stopped in a give some advice. Particularly TravR1 and Mystic. Trav you presented me with a very similar situation and reminded me of some of the financial benefits and things to keep in mind on that side of the equation. Mystic, I appreciate the heads-up on paying cash for school through a carrier to avoid the contract.

As to a knowing or referring to the large companies as "Megas"... all I can tell ya is that that term is not exclusive to TTR. I've heard/seen it in a few other forms of media, i.e. podcasts, industry related articles op-eds, comments, etc... It seems simply a decent/respectful way of referring to those large companies that generally hire new drivers and may operate/own other companies vs. a "large" company (one's that are, simply large in size of their operations).

So what "exit" to take... As most of you suggested. 3 or 4 definitely seem the best way from point A to B. Exit 1 (van expediting) may be an easy financial way into the industry (for me), but it's not what I would be happy doing. Exit 4, still holds some interest for me, perhaps because it's the closest to what I "know". However in this area hotshotting seems limited to car hauling, of which I'm not opposed. Though after talking to some drivers at the large auction houses, few are happy or making good money.

Time-wise, in a perfect world those that say "just do it" are right. I'd LOVE to jump in tomorrow. However as I mentioned in the OP, I'm currently enrolled in school which I paid for myself and bailing isn't something I try to do. Much less breaking an apartment lease, and other life responsibilities. In retrospect, a quick reference to my personal timeline would have been helpful in my OP.

All that said, thanks to you all for your responses! They've given me a lot to consider and feel like I can now narrow my research down to the correct areas. Most of my life's obligations end in May and hope to have a plan in place between now and then to get myself "on the road" to a career I've always considered.

Stay safe out there everyone and thanks again to you all!
    - Jeff

TravR1 Thanks this.
  6. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas

Ahhh...to be young again!

TravR1 Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.