What I learned two days ago

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by 77fib77, Jan 27, 2019.

1. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    He said floating the gears too. I can tell you after 19+ years of starting/stopping with clutch and floating my knee is ####ed up. In fact I dont know of too many truckers who have been in this business for 20, 30 or more years that dont have problems with their knees and backs.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. rank

rank Road Train Member

Feb 11, 2010
    50 miles north of Rochester, NY
    Weird. I'm the exact opposite. I know plenty of people with knee replacements but none of them are truck drivers. I know plenty of old truck drivers and none with knee replacements. Carpenter, farmer (both knees), farmers wife, owner of a sports store and a few more, And countless others with knee operations due to ligament and cartilage damage, myself included but that was caused from sports.

Last edited: Feb 12, 2019
    rollin coal Thanks this.
  4. mustang190

mustang190 Road Train Member

Jan 18, 2011
    Florida Panhandle
    I highly doubt that using a clutch screws your knee up. Probably other factors involved like obesity or lack of exercise.

5. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    I don’t see anything at all wrong with @rank ’s 359.

Sour grapes?

stwik, rank and spyder7723 Thank this.
  6. spyder7723

spyder7723 Road Train Member

Mar 31, 2013
    sarasota, fl
    The only thing wrong with a 359 is the ride. Those 359s road very rough compared to the 379s. Fortunately its easy to swap it over to the newer suspension.

stwik and rank Thank this.
  7. Brandt

Brandt Road Train Member

Sep 17, 2012
    He did not believe I was even a driver in one post. I'm just pointing out how he is grabbing for anything to put down a auto shift and would seem to be most modern truck improvements. Like, disc brakes he doesn't seem to understand the real benefits of them by his remarks about tailgating. He may just be joking but he also may really think disc are just the modern kool-aid as he says. If he doesn't see the benefits of disc brakes. Then I can see why he would say the same thing about auto shift transmission

"Why? So I can tailgate more? So I can go faster down a hill? How do they wok on ice? Rookie Kool-Aid drinkers are everywhere"

8. aussiejosh

aussiejosh Road Train Member

Aug 28, 2009
    Airlie Beach QLd
    Its seems this is the way most transport companies are going as the CFO's bottom line over 12 months and beyond is dollars in the bank and in the long run an auto transmission will prove less costly. Gone are the days of gear crunching and learning how to down shift they've taken all the fun away from climbing up a steep mountain highway. And its one less thing the driving instructor has to teach while their out on the road.

9. shogun

shogun Road Train Member

Jan 23, 2009
    Doing a regen
    I know of a trucking company that was on the brink of bankruptcy.

1. They had millions in medical bills from workman’s comp knee replacement claims.
    2. Their drivers were getting careless driving citations with one hand on the wheel.
    3. Clutches were lasting less than two weeks.

The solution?

They started with one automatic transmission. Before you know it, they are making millions, no more clutch replacements or twisted driveshafts, their CSA score would make WalMart jealous, and each driver started running marathons due to incredible knee strength.

10. rollin coal

rollin coal Road Train Member

Mar 29, 2008
    TN
    Nope, I'm not a tub-a-lard. My left knee sometimes bothers me and I blame it on that clutch.

11. adayrider

adayrider Road Train Member

May 7, 2018
    Name the company or it never happened. HAHA

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.