What if it Snows?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    flats are getting $3 a mile all day nowadays around here

Last edited: Jan 28, 2022
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
  4. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Now, there's a workin' man. Good luck Joey......smh

5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    @D.Tibbitt

I plan to have it shipped tomorrow.
    0128222243.jpg

This belt is NOT sealed or lacquered in any way other than mink oil. It will absorb oils and greases that come in contact with it, water as well but to a lesser degree (mink oil is a natural water repellant).

I use, and recommend, Fiebing's Mink Oil Paste to oil ALL my leather items... From wallets to boots to saddles.
    0128222244.jpg

If you ever think your belt needs to be cleaned I recommend Fiebing's Saddle Soap. It is a paste that comes in a tin, I prefer the yellow but white is just as good.
    Capture+_2022-01-28-22-58-19.png

Oiling your belt is a must in order to make it last. How often it needs to be done really depends on the elements it is exposed to. At a bare minimum I would suggest oiling it at least once, if not twice, every year, as well as after any cleaning or exposure to lots of water. Always allow your belt to COMPLETELY dry (I recommend at least 24 hours) before oiling if it has gotten wet.

Your belt will gradually get darker over time just from wearing it, as well as oiling. I think this adds character and life to a leather items story. If properly cared for this belt could very well out live you. I hope you enjoy it and get some good use out of it.

Edit: I use a heavy wool sock to apply both the mink oil and the saddle soap. I have a couple socks just for that purpose. Saddle soap may also be applied and lathered with a soft brush, such as an old school shaving soap brush.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
  6. Oxbow

Oxbow Road Train Member

Nov 24, 2015
    Idaho
    No, the one I know is missing some curves!

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    What about goop hand cleaner? For grease? I use it on mine. The lanolin seems to oil it. Gets all the grease off. I don’t use dish soap or laundry detergent like tide. Sure that will dry it out. The smooth white goop works great on mine, for grease. I clean the spots, then rub a bit across the length with a towel. Works good on leather boots too.

8. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Never tried it... It could work very well. The biggest thing to remember is not all leather is created equal. Leather tanned with modern chemical baths is ALOT more resistant to staining or dryimg out than leather tanned with traditional methods. Tibbits belt is made from 100% Vegtable Tanned Leather... Next to brain tanning it is the oldest tanning method I know of. Basically its tanned in a tree bark tea.

This method of tanning creates a leather with very good temper and lots of body... And is the best leather for tooling. But it is also the most apt to stain and/or dry out.

9. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Right on man !! Thanks for the info , ill have to pick up those products. I really appreciate you taking the time to make me this masterpiece , cant wait to see it and wear it :headbang:

10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    We had pretty much no internet last night.

It's only 3 degrees here and moar frozen than the frozen tundra.

Continuing onward.

11. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    It's 30 in The Good Life City......they're thinking of calling out the National Guard

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.