What if it Snows?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Hell no it weren't no mirage!... It was nearly 50 degrees in Sidney, NE... That didnt last long... Was -4 at the 235 yardstick on 80 in WY... Rawlins is about 10 degrees right now.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. bzinger

bzinger Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2014
    omaha , ne
    Roflmao .

4. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Now tell me... Do you often have delusional fantasies on the road?
    Or.... did you either forget, or take too much medication around Sydney?
    Appears you snapped out of it by Wyoming. That's important! :laughing-guffaw:

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  5. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Lol... Maybe the mayo I used to make a sandwich in Big Springs was past is prime?

But in all seriousness there seems to be a narrow warm band between Cheyenne, WY and about Elm Creek, NE.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  6. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Yup.... Always watch out for the mayo. Wicked stuff! :biggrin_25517:

Yes seriously... There are those spots that are just plain their own environment.

Cattleman84 Thanks this.
  7. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I flew from OKC to Chicago Saturday morning to do a drive away. I picked up a customer's tractor trailer in Rochelle to deliver near San Antonio. Lucky me the high tech ultra light trailer was empty...

...great. Let's get into a snowstorm with almost no weight on the drives. To top it off it's my first time driving an automatic. Let's just say I hope it's the last time I drive an automatic.

Instead of taking the direct route down the St. Louis, with all the dark red lines showing on Google Maps, I opted to head west to Des Moines to catch I-35 southbound. Made it there to get a hotel for the night. Traffic wasn't too bad, except for I-39 to I-80 interchange. Google Maps and CB chatter recommended I go south to get on US-6 westbound, then catch IL-351 to get on I-80 westbound to save an hour.

As I was driving north on the two lane IL-351 I thought I saw a wide load approaching me with gum ball lights going. It took a while to figure out, but it wasn't a wide load. It was a truck that had been rear ended in the chain reaction accident on I-80, with a heavy tow truck following him with his lights on. The back of the reefer was blown apart, with the driver's side hanging out about two feet into the oncoming lane.

When I took the tight cloverleaf to get on I-80 westbound I saw a quarter mile back that all lanes were blocked as a heavy wrecker was hooking to another big rig. What a mess. Hope everyone was okay.

Regarding this automatic, what idiot thinks it's a good idea to program it to shift at 1300 rpm's in order to start lugging the next gear at 800 rpm's? Those are some WIDE gaps. If this truck has manual over ride I haven't found it. I can temporarily force a downshift, but it kicks out of it within seconds. About the only way to get some giddy up from a standing start is just to floor it through all the gears, then it feels like a mechanical bull. In low range half the time it's out of gear, with short bursts of acceleration.

Can't wait to deliver this truck, fly back home, and drive a real truck again.

Dan.S, speedyk, MACK E-6 and 4 others Thank this.
  8. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    If it is a cascadia push in at the end of the shift arm and hold it in for a second it will go to manual

Lepton1 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  9. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    No, this was a '19 Kenworth T880. No such manual over ride. The good news is another driver took over the "load" today, the bad news is I get a little over half the original waybill. Today was another struggle trying to get me CDL transferred from CA to OK. Ultimately successful, but it cost me at least $1200 because OK couldn't log into the national database correctly. Go figure. Our Gubmint at work...

Dave_in_AZ and InTooDeep Thank this.
  10. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    My Pete has a button on the end of the right steering column stalk.

Lepton1 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  11. MACK E-6

MACK E-6 Moderator Staff Member

Sep 19, 2005
    Baltimore, MD
    But, but....

That’s the whole point. You’re saving fuel. :rolleyes:

MagnumaMoose, Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.