What if it Snows?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Mar 19, 2018.

1. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    That is good to know though . I will keep that in mind . Although i cannot ever rember when ive actually gottonpaid for detention in my entire career as a company driver. But i am definatly going to chase it down now

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    4 hours to give away is too much. I'll book those if really needed. 2 is standard. And if it goes 2 hours 45 minutes, we get zilch.

4. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

HillbillyDeluxeTruck Road Train Member

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    4 is complete bs. Ask where in your contract it says 4hrs. They're lucky to get 2 for free and I dont even know how that became the standard.

Look at and always approach it like this, would any other worker give away 4hrs of their time at work for free? Nope.

Its gotten so far out of hand for a driver to just be expectes to sit and wait around for free at a shipper/reciever. And if you dont think the trucking co isnt fighting for some kind of detention $ for their equipment (especially if its a company truck), think again. They might not pay the driver any detention, but they'll sure try to cover their stuff.

Trucking has to be the most crooked business, well maybe 2nd to politics.

5. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    I will give them ten if they are polite, give me a place to park, and apologize. Lol. If not I try to bust it to them as much as humanly possible. Nobody with a truck wants detention. No money in that BS..

6. Accidental Trucker

Accidental Trucker Road Train Member

Jun 4, 2015
    I just collected my first detention check. Been trucking since 2006. Have this one customer who is the perfect trifecta of incompetence, lazyness and disinterest. A live load that takes as long as 10 hrs. Got tired of it enough and told them anything after 4 hrs was $150 an hr. Took nine hours..... I get paid by the receiver, and they took it off the shipper's bill. I think I'm a fan of detention, now...

7. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Getting paid to sit > not getting paid to sit.

8. HillbillyDeluxeTruck

Mar 3, 2013
    San Antone
    Is it Steves Doors in San Antonio? We went after their ##### for $1000 in detention, but only got $500 (on top of what the load paid). Only reason we were able to collect is because I noted the in and out times on my paperwork and got the shipping guy to sign it, which was immediately sent to the broker. Took 75 days iirc, but we still got paid. The next time a broker called us about a load from there, I imformed them up front that the detention time was gonna be substantial. When they realized that Id been there before they werent interested in using us anymore lol. One of those places thats a one and done for most o/o's.

9. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    Sometimes getting paid to sit is worthless and insulting when your money is on the other end of the load. (Next load). After awhile you just want to deal with decent people who don't lie. Detention is nice. Don't get me wrong. But I am more than willing to work with people who will work to accommodate me as well. Only way to stay sane, for myself that is. The ones who don't never see me again. Never, ever.

10. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    That sucks... I'm headed right into that crap to get home...

11. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Why does bunk heater only work when it wants too? I cannot figure this apu out???? Maybe i am doing something wrong

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.