What if it Snows?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Mar 19, 2018.

1. Blu_Ogre

Blu_Ogre Road Train Member

Jul 14, 2013
    Out west
    All kidding aside passengers endorsement may be in my future. DNR, Counties, and cities all like their drivers to have passengers endorsement so they can either haul equipment, rocks, or crew around as needed for emergency response. Cause the school bus drivers do not work for the municipalities......

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Pepper jack cheese... Needs pepper jack cheese... Thats where you went wrong.

4. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Speaking of school busses...

We had a bit of a run in with our local school bus system. Most all the school districts in my area contract the bussing out to private companies. But our school district owns and operates its own busses.

The bus route goes right in front of my house, and picks our children up and drops them off in front of our house. Then just vefore christmas they started dropping them off a few hundred yards from the house on the main highway instead of coming down our road, but only 3 afternoons a week. I figured it was due to a lazy driver, and told the kids to politely remain in thier seats until the bus came to thier normal stop if the driver tried this. When they did this the deiver got upset, but still came down the road... Our children got written up for this.

After a few phone calls to the bus supervisor and one to the school district superintendent, I discovered that the reason was that on those days the other children on our road were in an after school tutor program and not on the bus.

This screamed to me that the changes had been made to save a few pennies in fuel, and a disregard to safety. So I sent a lengthy email to the superintendent (who actually agreed with us) to be presented to the school board. This letter was very wordy and smacked of someone who knows regulation and laws... Very official sounding. It closed by stating that if a resolution could not be come to that had the bus stopping infront of my house each and every day, morning and night, that the letter could be considered an official request for documentation stating that the new stop location was indeed an approved and authorized stop, and documentation stating the date of said approval and authorization.

Now you see, before I wrote this letter I consulted my sister-in-law, who works as a supervisor for a private bus company... So I knew what had likely happened... Someone had changed the route without getting proper approval, and had Definetally failed to notify us (the parents) of said changes.

Needless to say, 2 days later we got a call from the bus supervisor, who originally has been very stubborn and unhelpful. He was now VERY apologetic and admitted that he had changed the route to save money, and done so without seeking proper approval. But that he would immediately rectify the situation... The bus would no longer attempt to drop our children off on the highway, but instead ALWAYS pick them up and drop them off in front of our house... At the approved stop location. In addition he would personally remove the write ups from our chilrens file and shred them.

This was a very satifying conversation for me and my wife. Originally my wife had not liked the idea of getting so wordy and official sounding in the letter... Niw she understands that sometimes "Official and Wordy" can be more effective than the alternative, as it has a tendency of sending people into panick mode when they have been in the wrong... At which point they will bend over backwards to resolve the issue without further involvement of upper management, and possible legal trouble.

Of course I would never have taken it as far as a legal battle, but the bus supervisor didn't call my bluff, instead he folded.

5. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
  6. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Coleslaw is acceptable for the children as long as organic mayonnaise is used.

7. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I think I would rather eat lawn clippings... LOL

8. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    Dandelions are good for the children.

9. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    Organic mayonnaise, you mean the stuff from CatSumYum that Mr. Wang makes by hand? I don't think that's a dietary supplement the FDA has approved for children.

What's the difference?

Opus, D.Tibbitt, LoSt_AgAiN and 3 others Thank this.
  10. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I think I could go for some dandelion greens in my salad... Gotta be better than cabbage.

11. Cattleman84

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I'm sure lawn clippings have more flavor... Just be sure they are from a dog free zone... LOL

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.