What if it Snows?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Mar 19, 2018.

1. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Ya need ya cut down on the jalapeño’s and chocolate ice cream before bedtime. :)

REO6205, Lepton1, Farmerbob1 and 2 others Thank this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. WesternPlains

WesternPlains Road Train Member

Sep 1, 2017
    Can’t believe I did it. :biggrin_25524:
    Sent the boss a text this morning..
    I’m about to drive into a 10 inch snow forecast. Over the Rockies. With a single axle drive only. On super singles.

His response...
    A list of three runs. Right in a row. Can’t waste any time.

I still can’t believe I did it. :biggrin_2551:
    I was doing 20 in Vail pass. CDOT pickup following me. Am sure he was watching for any sliding of my trailer tandems. When he left. I got the impression he thought: “He ain’t no fool”. I sure ain’t.
    Had vehicles slid off frwy. Fools. I’d tell them: Speed on! The emergency truck ramp is only half full!
    Saw a cop blocking east bound. Driving about 35 in center. Slowing traffic to a safe intelligent pace. They were getting tired of hauling vehicles back onto the shoulder.
    What a day!

4. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    10 inches of fresh snow? Sounds like a Fun and Slow day puttering through the mountains.

Dave_in_AZ, Lepton1 and WesternPlains Thank this.
  5. Opus

Opus Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    South GA
    Meanwhile, down here in Mississippi.....

Dave_in_AZ, Blu_Ogre and Lepton1 Thank this.
  6. Lepton1

Lepton1 Road Train Member

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    I thought I hit a snow flurry in North Texas yesterday, but it was just cotton from a loose bail. Sure glad I got my air conditioning working again.

7. Omega7777

Omega7777 Medium Load Member

May 21, 2018
    would only worry about that smell from those cattle farms. toxic ! they might as well just build more for all those empty spots to kill my nose

Dave_in_AZ and Lepton1 Thank this.
  8. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    That toxic smell of cow #### is what bull haulers say is the smell of money. If you don't like that smell, then never EVER take a 10 in Dodge City.

9. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    Love that smell... Reminds me of my childhood on the ranch. Any cow man would agree "Smells like my next pay check."

Lepton1 and Dave_in_AZ Thank this.
  10. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    We all knew you could do it.

WesternPlains Thanks this.
  11. Lepton1

Nov 23, 2012
    Yukon, OK
    Update...

The last two days I took full advantage of my Hazmat and tanker endorsements. Three loads on a power only basis, pulling customer trailers from a filthy, slick, deep mud bog about 150 miles to get loaded with a Hazmat substance you aren't cleared to know about.

On the last load there was a downpour. The "pad" (the normally road graded, compacted, and aggregate on top and then compacted AGAIN) was still a work in progress. I arrived with the loaded Hazmat tank I to the slurry on the pad.

I had to unhook my trailer, then hook another trailer to get it out of the way, then rehook to my trailer and put it where the other trailer was. About 45 minutes to get all that done. It featured more high rpm work, sometimes in high range reverse to as delicately as possible avoid tall mounds of mud, hazmat containment, and the company man's Ford pickup (which he refused to move on account he would have to get the interior of his truck muddy).

In short, a couple of fun days. In two days I made as much as I average for a week. Hazmat and tanker endorsements are really really valuable when you get paid a percentage or have your own authority. It was stupid money.

Signing off ribeye for dinner.

kemosabi49, tucker and Cattleman84 Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.