What if it Snows?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Mar 19, 2018.

1. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    You guys from the upper mid west fascinate me. We here in the south take pride in being tough. It wasn't until I started driving a truck OTR until I found out who the hardy ones are. It's not a thunderstorm either. It's the 60 mph winds in January that will question your manhood.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    If you drive 70 mph straight into 60 mph wind, is it the same feeling as driving 130 mph on a calm day?

We're looking at real hot in South Dakota and Nebraska for this week, with 100% chance of thick dust wherever we deliver.

4. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Just out of curiosity. I’d like to ask. When a big storms coming my way, I try to park so it hits the back of my Trailer. Last tornado We were in, it worked well. I figure any debris won’t get blown through my windshield. We were in New Albany Ms. Wife woke up and witnessed the whole thing. Tried to wake me up. Nope, slept through the whole thing. Lol. So what do you think, anyone have a theory on such things? I have parked parallel to a strip mall once, tornado came through from the side of Us. Building blocked the wind. That was in Bolivar Tn. just north of New Albany Ms. Lot of tornado activity in that area.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2021
  5. LoboSolo

LoboSolo Heavy Load Member

Jun 21, 2013
    Highway 20
    Weather radio is a good start. If its not installed in your truck, you can get a mobile weather radio for about $75 that will pick up the nearest band in the area, and keep you up to speed.

On days with weather, I always check the weather radar, current and future views anytime I stop. If weathers coming in the night, park with your tail towards the storm, and away from stuff that can fall on your rig.

Big stuff coming my way, I get going another way or adjust my speed accordingly.

6. Cowboyrich

Cowboyrich Road Train Member

Dec 11, 2017
    Dayton, Washington

If I have the option I try to put my tail towards the wind

7. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    Fixed marker lights, new wheel seal, new carrier bearing... succesfull day .. Time for a beverage

8. sealevel

sealevel Road Train Member

May 31, 2012
    U.S. 41
    They are too unpredictable. Get in the sleeper and away from any glass. It's really all you can do other than praying it's just a small one. Truck stops are fairly safe when your parked between two trucks. It's easy to survive it picking you up and tossing you on the ground. It's 2x4s coming through the side of the sleeper I would worry about. Probably wrong but it's the theory I go by.
    By the way, Bolivar TN is creepy. You ever notice that old insane asylum there. CREEPY!

9. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    Fixed the lights!! Good deal. What was wrong, what wire and where?

10. D.Tibbitt

D.Tibbitt Road Train Member

Apr 26, 2013
    Gettin' down westbound
    The wire with the 2 butt connectors is the marker light wire...that is the harness which attaches to the headlight assembly connector.. IMG_20210724_1810020.jpg

I found marker light power with my test light just below the 2nd butt connector and cut them off, it was corroded all the way to the pin in the harness... Depinned the old wire and repinned a new wire and shes working just like new

IMG_20210724_2132345.jpg

11. Rideandrepair

Aug 8, 2015
    That explains a lot. Didn’t know about the Asylum. Yeah it’s creepy. I think of it as the border from new south to old south. North of there, Yankees are welcome, many have family up north. South of there. Folks stayed put. Don’t need any Yankees moving here!!! Lol. Just my observations. I’ve often been told you outta move here, in Eastern Tn. East of Jackson that is. Not many invitations south or west of there, till I get to Southern Louisiana, Lol. I joke a lot, but northern Ms. around Tupelo to Meridian is home to some very friendly folks. Always a good time running down south.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.