What if it Snows?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Mar 19, 2018.

1. JolliRoger

JolliRoger Road Train Member

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Compare a Hippo to a Zippo???
    Hippo is large and heavy, Zippo is a little lighter.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Ah but it matters how long the stick of firewood is. Tho it does appear to be a 16" per stick. Then you need to figure the volume of the stick. As some sticks could be 8 inch while others are only 6 inch. Unless its kindling then it may only be an inch or two. Tho I think cattleman doesnt let the fire go out, so kindling is moot.

I had a Grandmother in Providence Rhode Island. She had a wood waiter. Basically a dumb waiter made for wood. There was a bench seat near the front hallway fireplace. The top of the bench had a hinge. In the basement one would fill up a hopper. The hopper had a rectangular frame and the wood was not allowed to protrude from the frame. Upstairs a crank was inserted and turned to lift about 10 arm loads of wood to the first floor.

When the bench was closed, no one would know it was there.

4. JolliRoger

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Yeah; but, the Taco salad provided immediate nourishment, Money would have provided immediate and future.
    The old.. Give him a fish or teach him to fish.

5. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    Teaching a person to fish isnt the hard part. Getting over the squeamish part of gutting the fish, now that is a trick!

6. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    So my Dad just text me pics of his saw with a broken bar oil filler cap, and asks what happened when I borrowed his saw. Mind you I bought my current saw in '14 or '15, shortly after my old saw began leaking fuel from a cracked fuel tank.

So I reply that it wasn't like that when I returned it. But that I did remember hitting a spike with the chain, and that I had bought him a new chain when I returned it. He then replied "So my chains shot to..."

I then reiterated that I bought him a new chain and remember giving it to him. As I was trying to remember so long ago a memory came back. Some how I had managed to break the chain brake handle. I remember he was pretty upset about that because it took quite some time to get the replacement handle.

Once I reminded him About the chain brake handle, he replied... "Everything's good" I think age is starting to play tricks on his memory... I'm pretty sure that after I jogged his memory he remembered some other incident, between now and when I last borrowed his saw, that resulted in the broken bar oil cap.

It gets under my skin that I am the one that gets the blame when one of dad's tools is broken. I guess I can understand why though, I did have a bad tendency of breaking his tools when I was a kid. It's kinda sad to see the results of age beginning manifest in my Dad... He's always been my Hero.

7. Cattleman84

Cattleman84 Road Train Member

Nov 1, 2017
    The Sticks, Idaho
    I like the idea of the bench hiding the wood pile... I think I'm going to have to build a wood box that doubles as a bench to sit on while removing ones boots... The fireplace is about 8 or 10 feet from the door.

And you are correct kindling is moot, the fire very rarely goes completely out once the cold hits.

8. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    Dad's are the best heroes.

9. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    This Walmart DC I’m at is in the middle of the middle of nowhere. 14 miles south of Arcadia Fl. Everyone here must have a good commute. Surprised they can get Workers at all. They usually pick depressed areas. I think they overdid it on this one.

10. JolliRoger

May 8, 2007
    Mississippi
    Be thankful for the past experiences with him, and that only his short term memory is slipping. I have a sister in a near by nursing home. All is fine, she knows my name, uses it, and discusses current (during that visit) subject matter.
    Until you ask; What was for lunch or what time do they serve dinner usually, a shrug, I dunno.. No short term memory at all, just what came up in that visit.
    As an aside and curiosity. Seems your dad still has some l o n g term memory of your youth.

11. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Well my brand new 1500w inverter just blew out. Same way the last one did. Big poof!! What was that noise? Smoke pouring out of it. Turned it off. No more smoke. All it had was the fridge plugged into it. I spilled some water near it earlier. Didn’t seem to get into it though. Doesn’t make sense. Other one, a 2000w has been working good. Making coffee with it. Plugged fridge into it. It’ll run both. Very disappointed. Must be another bad inverter? What’s the chances? Bought on Internet. Not such a great deal after all.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.