What if it Snows?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Dave_in_AZ, Mar 19, 2018.

1. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    The problem is you fail to understand that you have to divide your income by the number of individuals in your household. Many of us are just one. You on the other hand...

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Wasted Thyme

Wasted Thyme Road Train Member

Jan 27, 2020
    GOAT watching
    I'm curious. When booking consecutive loads. How do you estimate the time stuck unloading. To determine when you can pickup the next load? Or do you just typically make it the next day?

I'm guessing similar to what I did. When telling my DM to set up mine. If AM delivery. Give me an afternoon. If mid day or later. Next day. Then I'd just stage up the night before.

4. spindrift

spindrift Road Train Member

Dec 2, 2014
    Texas
    "Everything is habit-forming, so make sure what you do is what you want to be doing."
    - Wilt Chamberlain

5. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    I can only tell you that The OM is both shocked and appalled that a career trucker with his own authority is pulling loads for Landstarve.

6. SoulScream84

SoulScream84 Road Train Member

Mar 21, 2020
    I'm getting ready to hear chains rattling across Bozeman. Maybe things will have improved before I get there from Butte.

7. lovesthedrive

lovesthedrive R.I.P.

Nov 11, 2008
    Sorrento Maine
    It is why in CR England your daily miles was figured at 50 mph. At 500 miles per day average. That allowed a driver to go 65 mph and get stuck in traffic or stuck at a dock. Tho CR England had macros for everything. They had you notify them | Arrived at shipper | BOLS | Bumped the dock | Unloaded | going to shipper | Arrived at shipper | and so on. So if you are able to do 700 miles per day and you guessed that you needed 5 days to drive 2500 miles. The last 3 days you made 2100 miles. Yet on Day 4 you only did 200 miles and 10 hours of 2mph traffic because of a wreck. It still left you a day to do the final 300 miles on day 5.

You dont figure the miles by what you can do. You figure the miles in worst case scenario.

8. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    Are the landstar centers doing lunch again?

So I brought some juice with me. Carrots, beats, cucumber, celery and center part of a key lime.

IMG_20211012_104751368_HDR.jpg

Last edited: Oct 12, 2021
  9. 77fib77

77fib77 Road Train Member

Jul 7, 2010
    St Louis
    You have your own numbers? Or are Lessed on?

10. homeskillet

homeskillet Road Train Member

Jun 1, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I was driving on US 36 yesterday, through the farmland of central Indiana.

50 mph speed limit, I was going about 45 because of all the combines on the road.

I saw a tree stump in a front yard, that had a birdhouse built on top of it that looked like one of those cartoon hillbilly shacks, complete with a metal pipe chimney sticking out the top.

I wondered if there was a wood stove in there. Farm country, y'know. They coulda gone to the trouble.......

"Why'd ya put a wood stove in your birdhouse, Eli?"

"To see if I could".

Then I was thinking, "Did he metal work all the individual plates and painstakingly rivet them together with tiny little cast iron rivets, or did he 'cheat' , and just get one of those old kerosene flare pots road crews used to use, cut a hole in it, install a door kit, hook it to a chimney, and call it good?"

"I'll bet it's prime bird real estate. I wonder if the bird fights to get in there are loud and distracting."

"Could be, he didn't even build it. His young son did. Maybe even his daughter. I've been to a couple farm shows, them 4-H and FFA girls can build some pretty impressive stuff......."

My mind wanders a little, on those two lane US Routes through farm country.......

11. InTooDeep

InTooDeep Donner party survivor

Jan 17, 2016
    Carmichael CA
    Pulled an empty yesterday woodland to Modesto. Flippin 45mph side winds my wrists hurt today. So today is a Carls jr steak breakfast burrito day only thing I get from them and they are #### good. Then.......nothing

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.