what is a clutch brake?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by wanna_be_trucker, Nov 26, 2012.

1. wanna_be_trucker

wanna_be_trucker Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2011
    Athol, Massachusetts
    What exactly is a clutch brake, and what exactly does it do? In simple terms. I'm trying to explain to someone that there is such thing as one. But I can't explain what it is or what it does and I can't find anything on google that explains it in a simplified ways.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
  4. mattbh23

mattbh23 Heavy Load Member

Dec 19, 2011
    Benton Harbor, MI
    A clutch brake basically is another vehicle control switch for me, especially when it comes to backing up and tight maneuvers and shifting.

5. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    Switch???
    huh?? Now i am confused--please expain

6. MPH2

MPH2 Light Load Member

Nov 20, 2012
    Strawberry plains, TN
    He is calling it a switch because when you push the clutch pedal all the way down you disengage the clutch and activate the clutch brake but when only push the pedal half way down you only disengage the clutch and NOT the clutch brake. So it's there if you want to use it like a switch

mattbh23 Thanks this.
  7. d o g

d o g Trucker Forum STAFF Staff Member

Sep 20, 2010
    Texas
    Sometimes you just gotta shake your head...

'olhand and dirtyjerz Thank this.
  8. ‘Olhand

‘Olhand Cantankerous Crusty

Jan 18, 2011
    you no sometimes I read a thred and the voices on my head scream "MOVE ON" BUT do I listen? NÖÓOÔOO

d o g and Hardlyevr Thank this.
  9. Okieron

Okieron Crusty Okie

Dec 23, 2009
    muskogee, ok
    A clutch brake stops the inertial movement of the input of the transmission when the clutch pedal is depressed completely to allow the transmission to be moved from one gear to another ! :)

Pmracing and wanna_be_trucker Thank this.
  10. deepstroke

deepstroke Bobtail Member

Jun 20, 2007
    chicago, il
    Okieron, I think you are close, but not exactly. A clutch brake is to be employed ONLY when the vehicle is at a stop, otherwise, you are 'Deepstroking' the clutch. Which is how I got my handle. In school the simulator we used I constantly deepstroked the clutch. Its different out in the truck and you can tell how far you need to depress the clutch without engaging the clutch brake. A clutch brake is fragile. Should you deepstroke the clutch while the truck is in motion you can damage or cause premature wear to the clutch brake, making it harder to shift into gear at a stop. The movement of the truck keeps the parts of the trans in motion that you are trying to stop by employing the clutch brake.

Hope that helps, a little.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.