What is a "Long Form?"

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by Zangief, Oct 15, 2021.

1. Zangief

Zangief Medium Load Member

Feb 19, 2011
    Jags Fan in Viking Country
    Hi everybody. I'm actually not a new driver, but I've been off the road for about 7 years and am in the process of applying for an OTR job. The recruiter I'm working with told me a month ago that my application had been approved. Since then, I have provided them with documentation such as DOT physical, Social Security Card, copy of driver's license, etc.

The frustrating thing is that this recruiter has been extremely slow at returning my phone calls. It usually takes 2-3 days of leaving her voicemail messages before I hear back from her. Yesterday, I was hoping to hear that I was all set to go to orientation, but she sent me an email telling me that the safety department needed me to provide them with a "Long Form." That's all she said about it in the email. About the only thing I can figure is that they wanted to see all the forms the doctor gave me when I did the DOT physical, so I emailed those to her right away yesterday at about 11:30 AM. I had actually sent the same documents to them a week earlier, so it makes me wonder exactly what they meant when they asked for a "Long Form."

Do any of you know what she might be referring to when she asks for a "Long Form?" Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    The “Long Form” is your DOT Medical Certificate that shows all the technical information about where you got your DOT medical,who was the doctor/physician that signed off on it,and it also includes yes and no questions regarding any health issues that you may have or have had,including blood pressure,allergies,vision issues,if you’re taking any medications for mentioned health issues,etc. The short form doesn’t have those questions.

Dna Mach, ZVar, Zangief and 2 others Thank this.
  4. feldsforever

feldsforever Road Train Member

Nov 22, 2019
    When you book your dot physical appointment. Tell them at that time you need the long dorm. Then remind the doctor because he was prolly never told. It will only lengthen your visit by 5-10 mins. Its nothing really. Mjd4277 nailed it

mjd4277 and Zangief Thank this.
  5. Zangief

Feb 19, 2011
    OK, thanks mjd4277. I'm pretty sure I sent them both then. There was a one page form, and then there were 4 additional pages that covered all of the things you mentioned. I'll keep my fingers crossed that they have what they wanted, and if not, I'll just go back to the doctor to get them what they need.

Thanks again for the info!

Last edited: Oct 15, 2021
    slim shady and mjd4277 Thank this.
  6. ZVar

ZVar Road Train Member

Sep 10, 2010
    Flint, MI
    Sounds like you sent in the right paperwork.
    Likely what happened is the useless recruiter forwarded the email and the clueless HR person simply didn't see it as an attachment. Instead of doing a simple search of the email they noted there was no long form attached to your entries in their special HR database. So instead of doing it the easy way they sent an email claiming they never received the long form. I seen stuff like this happen a million times back when I was working in an office.

Zangief Thanks this.
  7. mjd4277

mjd4277 Road Train Member

Oct 4, 2015
    Fitchburg,MA
    You’re welcome,glad I could help!

Zangief Thanks this.
  8. Moose1958

Moose1958 Road Train Member

Dec 17, 2010
    Williesburg, Virignia
    Just to amplify this question and get the correct terms used. What I think the OP did was ONLY give the carrier the Medical Examiner's Certificate (MEC), Form MCSA-5876 and either did not have or failed to give them the Medical Examination Report (MER) Form, MCSA-5875. When the ME finishes the physical most of the time they will give you a copy of the "long form"! If they do not ask for it! Most of the time if the carrier has sent you to their ME the ME will give them a copy as a part of the process. I know the rules are changing, but I HIGHLY recommend all drivers have a copy of their long forms with them!

mjd4277 and Zangief Thank this.
  9. Zangief

Feb 19, 2011
    Thanks Moose1958. The form numbers you gave cleared it up 100%. I actually did send both in originally using Tenstreet. I don't know why they would ask for the long form (MSCA-5875) again, because I did send that before with my other paperwork. Maybe one or more of them didn't come through clearly. Oh well, I emailed it a second time a few days ago too, so they should have it. Now I just have to wait until the recruiter gets back to me. Things are looking good I think.

Thanks again to you and the others who responded! :thumbleft:

mjd4277 Thanks this.
  10. Atlanta trucker

Atlanta trucker Road Train Member

Jan 25, 2017
    The full 7 pages of your medical dot form.

Your Jacksonville Jags stadium is a very nice place to watch a game. Been there to watch my Raiders and a few other teams. Will be real nice when that four seasons hotel goes in. Shad Kaun is putting $$$ to make his team and facilitys better.

Zangief Thanks this.
  11. Zangief

Feb 19, 2011
    Hi Atlanta trucker!
    Thank you for the response and for the kind words about my Jaguars. It looks like the 4 pages I sent in was actually the long form. I called the doctor just to make sure and he said that he did give me the long form, so I think I'm good.

As far as the Jags are concerned, you're right, it is a fun place to watch a game. We haven't had too many good teams over the years, but at least the weather is usually nice, and it's a fun crowd. Now that we have a quarterback, maybe things will start heading in the right direction.

Your Raiders had a pretty nice season going until the whole thing with Jon Gruden blew up. I was disappointed to hear that news because I always liked Gruden. Hopefully, Mayock can find a good replacement in the offseason, because it seems like the team is on the precipice of doing some great things. Speaking of fun places to watch a game, that new palace in Las Vegas looks incredible! One of these days I'd love to go and see a game there too!

Atlanta trucker and Speed_Drums Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.