What is an electronic shift transmission?

Discussion in 'Questions From New Drivers' started by zombie 9tails, May 27, 2011.

1. M915A4

M915A4 Medium Load Member

Jul 19, 2010
    Somerset,MA
    we have been pretty lucky with them.being doggy from a start is the only concern.reliability hasnt been an issue yet.my unit has had ours for 5 years now.zero tranny issues.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. frenchy

frenchy Bobtail Member

May 2, 2008
    Ranson, WV
    Maybe I am not experienced enough as I drove only for 3 years but in those 3 years , I've yet to have any component replaced in the clutch/tranny on my trucks. Only 1 program/electrical issues that wasn't fixed quickly. ( heard of the XY shifter calibration ? )

The new version with Electronic clutch is a BIG improvement over the older version that my Columbia 07 had. It gives back some control to the driver who knows how to use the throttle.

Like learning to float or dbl clutch. Driving a Electronic Shifter has some learning curve. Unfortunately, some drivers sees it as a way to get lazy and drive with lead foot all the time. And complain that the tranny going out is the fault of the electronic shifter ......

Like every job, you get tools to perform your duty.
    Auto or Manual, you've got to learn to use the tools properly.

Me I prefer having room for my cooler in between the seats so I can grab a cold drink en-route and not have to stop to reach for one.

Tazz Thanks this.
  4. flood

flood Road Train Member

Dec 25, 2010
    don't get me wrong i love the auto and we went o/o when usx was going to move us into a 10sp we have had 9 trucks with usx and our last one had 400k when we got out of it and we only had one prob with one trucks trans and that was the hi-range went out, that is the only time we have ever had a prob

5. alan g

alan g Bobtail Member

May 24, 2011
    Phoenix. AZ
    Drove Volvo FM12 in the UK for 5 or 6 years , type in your search engine , Volvo "i" shift with ecoroll UK, and look for the Volvo website and the system in Europe will be revealed. Have a look on youtube as well and you will notice that the truck will block change (miss out gears) according to the gear required to move the truck with relation to it's gross weight. I think a similar system is in the US now but not sure about "ecoroll" which disengages the drive and allows gravity and momentum to move the truck along sometimes for miles at a time almost freewheeling but engine is easily re-engaged by the flick of a switch on the stalk, touching the brake or reaching the overspeed setting whilst vehicle is in cruise , this is set by the driver whilst on the move as cruise has to be engaged to access it. Care is needed though in re-engaging with regard to overrevving the engine , not all of the trucks had the ecoroll it all depended on the software installed. There are a number of videos on youtube showing "i"shift in action , as are the Volvo engine braking systems.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.