What is an owner operator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Life on Wheels, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I own a truck, and I’m leased on as an owner operator to a tanker company, doing OTR loads. I recently had another owner operator tell me I can’t call myself an O/O because I’m leased on to a company. He was very angry, and said I have everything handed to me, so basically I’m not a “real” O/O.
    So my question is if this is a real thing with the “real” O/Os, and what should I call myself if so? I don’t lease my truck through the company (like a lease purchase deal), so I don’t feel like I’m a lease operator like at Prime or another mega.
    I don’t know of an alternative label for what I do, so let me know if there is one, and how egregious a crime it is for me to call myself an O/O. Thanks y’all!

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NYStarcar

NYStarcar Light Load Member

Oct 6, 2020
    In a van down by the river
    Do you really care what someone else thinks?

4. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    I don’t give a eff what people think of me, but I didn’t think this was a thing until this happened. I’m just asking y’all if this was just one angry man with low self esteem, or some sort of unwritten rule that I haven’t heard of. And if there is a different name for what I do.

austinmike, Coffey, bzinger and 3 others Thank this.
  5. NYStarcar

Oct 6, 2020
    Some guys have an attitude towards Lease operators, I think you just had a run in with a miserable person.

6. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    You own your truck corect ?
    You operate your truck correct ?
    If you answered yes to those questions then your a O/O
    Personally.. I would of told that that tard that said that to you .. to Go F... Himself

7. Rideandrepair

Rideandrepair Road Train Member

Aug 8, 2015
    Some Lease on under someone else’s Authority. Some get their own Authority. Some run their own product, maybe part time, like many Farmers. Some Farmers will run freight under their own or someone else’s Authority between planting and harvesting. Some run exempt commodities only. All are O/O’s. Anyone can get their own numbers. It’s not anything worth bragging about. Truly successful people don’t bother trying to prove it to anyone else.

NightWind, Bean Jr., D.Tibbitt and 4 others Thank this.
  8. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Well said. This guy just seemed so angry. I can’t understand insulting somebody because you have your own authority and they don’t. He told me he makes more money than me on a bad week. That’s when I knew what kind of person he is…
    All of this out of nowhere

9. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Yeah, he caught me off guard with all of his bs. Normally I ignore those people, but it did get me curious, so that’s why I posted this on here.

Bean Jr., Coffey, Siinman and 3 others Thank this.
  10. NYStarcar

Oct 6, 2020
    Same kinda guys that will sit in a truck stop and rage for 2 hours on channel 19

Bean Jr., Opendeckin, Siinman and 3 others Thank this.
  11. Last Call

Last Call Road Train Member

Mar 15, 2021
    Maybe he is 1 of those guys that bought a over priced truck a year or so ago thinking he was fix'n to cut a fat hog .. and now he is about broke so he is pissed off at the world.. and you were in his sights

Oxbow, Grumppy, Bean Jr. and 8 others Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.