What is an owner operator?

Discussion in 'Ask An Owner Operator' started by Life on Wheels, Nov 25, 2022.

1. Dave_in_AZ

Dave_in_AZ Road Train Member

May 4, 2015
    You're in good company.

Siinman Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. NorthEastTrucker

NorthEastTrucker Medium Load Member

Sep 21, 2019
    When I'm in the States and someone asks I say, ' I'm a Leased on Owner Operator' even though I'm not Leasing my truck through the carrier I work under. Whiles in Canada, I say Owner Operator because there are less full Authroity Carriers oppose those who are working under another Carrier. It's a pretentious title imo when most boost they aren't running their own Authority. I bought the truck however, here in Ontario, Canada insurance placed some weird rule even those who have 30 year experience driving if they weren't insured before on their own within the last 5 years. They have to obtain 1 year insurance experience under another carrier. Kinda stupid, but that's the North. Regardless, who cares what another trucker thinks if it's a lower I.Q. mentality. It's your business therefore you run it as you please!

Life on Wheels Thanks this.
  4. Cat sdp

Cat sdp . .

Apr 8, 2012
    Orion's Belt
    If you live in a Cascadia and eat beefaroni you might not be an owner operator

5. tscottme

tscottme Road Train Member

If you bought/financed your truck on your own money/credit and the bank/finance company you used are not connected to your carrier, I'd say you are an O-O.

drh72 Thanks this.
  6. TruckerPete1990

TruckerPete1990 Road Train Member

Jul 16, 2012
    Bentonville Arkansas
    Here's how I look at it. If your name is on that title you are a owner operator. Many people run the business different ways. Some want total control which would be there own numbers insurance and stuff. While some want to lease on and pick where they go and haul. Then some do power only and let the dispatcher do everything.
    In the end it's all the same and everyone pretty much makes the same money.

Long FLD and Life on Wheels Thank this.
  7. Life on Wheels

Life on Wheels Light Load Member

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Check and check

8. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    If you get back in your truck after home time and are surprised that someone did a PM on it, you might not be an owner operator

Speedy356, Cat sdp and Arctic_fox Thank this.
  9. bad-luck

bad-luck Road Train Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Baltimore, Maryland
    An owner operator is someone who owns their own truck. You are an owner operator whether you are leased to someone, or have your own authority. Back on the day someone who owned their own truck and trailer and had their authority were referred to as independents. But you don't hear that term much anymore, now everyone is an owner operator.

10. Life on Wheels

Aug 17, 2019
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Works for me

11. Arctic_fox

Arctic_fox Experienced mx13 execrator

Sep 16, 2016
    Honestly being purely indy is getting harder and harder. Not at all imposible as many can do it quite well and make a good living or even go full carrier and expand with that method. But the trucking industry is currently changeing. Some say for the better, others for the worse.

As things currently stand i would venture that being a leased to owner op or a fixed contract O/O are likely the safest options to be a truck owner having the lowest risk but only moderate rewards.

Being an indy is the middle ground with moderate risks but highest potential rewards

meanwhile leaseing from a company is the highest risk lowest reward and most likely to get screwed on.

However all 3 can easily be classified as owner ops. Owner op to me has always been a catch all term with more specialized terms like indy or carrier applied to specific branches.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.