What is causing this beeping?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by Lostkeys, Feb 19, 2013.

1. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    2006 9400i C13 KCB...Truck beeps occasionally when the engine is running whether I'm driving or parked. The beep sounds similar to the low fuel warning however this beep is only 3 beeps. It started over a year ago. I haven't found any rhyme or reason for it. Does anyone know what it is and why? I've heard that it means that there is a fault, but no active codes show up at the dealership.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Mark Kling

Mark Kling Technology Contributor

Sep 23, 2007
    Statesville, NC
    any inactive codes? It may beep, show an active code, then the code may go inactive cause the fault is not active at the time.

4. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Three beeps is an indication the cluster is getting faulty data. The gauge that is getting the faulty data will point to 6 o'clock. The problem is, the fault can occur for just a split second, long enough for the cluster to detect it and start the warning beeps, but too quick for the gauge to respond. The three beeps will come from either the Oil pressure, coolant temp, vehicle speed, tach and fuel level gauge problem. All those except the fuel level come from the engine. The gauges from the engine are feed data through a data link. If one gauge looses data, they all lose it. If the engine is has a problem you will get a check engine light too and will log a code. That leaves the fuel level. This is the most likely culprit since you have no codes. The fuel level sender is probably acting up and the circuit is going open for just a split second here and there causing the warning alarm. 99% of the time the problem is the sender itself.

Regen Again?, smp440 and silver dollar Thank this.
  5. Lostkeys

Lostkeys Heavy Load Member

Jan 8, 2011
    Archbold,OH
    I knew that there had to be a detailed explanation. Thank you. My fuel gauge is the only one that will occasionally point down. The float assembly has been replaced though. Is the sender part of the float assembly?

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Yes. Give the wiring a little wiggle at the sender and see if they are loose or corroded.

7. EverLuc

EverLuc Light Load Member

Feb 18, 2013
    What is 4 beeps? The oil lamp gives 4 beeps at start up. Good oil pressure. Mine has done that for years.

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Some trucks will sound the alarm at startup because they haven't received full data from all modules yet.

9. booley

booley Road Train Member

Feb 16, 2008
    This is VERY interesting! I drove an '05 9900i for 13 years and could NEVER figure out what that beeping was...only did it once in a while and I could NEVER figure it out...

I don't drive that truck anymore, but now I'll sleep better knowing what the heck it was...

10. down south

down south Bobtail Member

Nov 4, 2016
    I have a similar issue oil pressure guage goes to 6 and my fuel guage is bouncing around and no flash code

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.