What is current Heartland pay scale?

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by Ralph4159, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Ralph4159

Ralph4159 Heavy Load Member

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    I couldn't find a chart anywhere on their site. Does anyone know the current scale (CPM/years experience)? I'm only interested in OTR (the system?) , not regional. Thanks

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. white wolf

white wolf Light Load Member

Jul 1, 2013
    minneeessoooota
    Heartland out of Iowa or missouri? well if its the one I am thinking of they are now advertising 52 cents per mile at least thats what it says on the trucks

4. Ralph4159

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Thanks. Yes, Heartland Express out of Iowa. I know that is their top rate, but they must have a graduated scale right? xCPM for 3 years experience, yCPM for 4 years, zCPM for 5 years, etc. I'm sure 52 is their top out rate.

5. born&raisedintheusa

born&raisedintheusa Road Train Member

Sep 20, 2012
    Find out if Heartland Express, out of Sioux City Iowa, has enough miles to offer. 52 cents a mile will not mean much if the number of miles driven is too low.

tow614 and Ralph4159 Thank this.
  6. Starboyjim

Starboyjim Road Train Member

Dec 10, 2011
    Weed, CA
    "Find out if Heartland Express, out of Sioux City Iowa, has enough miles to offer. 52 cents a mile will not mean much if the number of miles driven is too low."

Exactly. Or, how many stops. How many red lights. $.52 is too much for straight OTR employment. You can do that and more as an O/O or I/C, but take a hard look at the work in that number before doing anything you'll regret later. You know, what do you have to do for the money? If you think in terms of annual net income, or even quarterly net income, your sight picture will be more accurate. The CPM, it would be nice to have a better pay scale, but CPM is only the starting point. It isn't the CPM, it's what's in your pay deposit that counts. imho

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013
  7. Ralph4159

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Yes, I plan on investigating ALL those other factors. But first, I would please like to simply know their pay scale.

8. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I don't know if they have one actually made anywhere anymore. System starts at like .44 cpm with 1 year experience. Then goes up .05 (half a cent) for each year after up to 8 years.
    Then 1 cent is safety bonus on all miles. 1 cent is hazmat on all miles. So that makes cap at .50 cpm system with 8 years. The other 2 cpm are for longevity bonuses. After like 10 and 15 years.
    Miles are up and down most system drivers I talk to are over 2500 miles per week. Which is not high, but pretty common. And with the pay it equals about the same as with other company's just not having to drive as much to get it. Also .04 cpm for green miles. Which are any miles driven in the northeast, east of I-81 and north of MD VA line.

Northeast regional drivers get same pay as system, and also get the green miles.
    Columbus is .04 cpm lower than NE.
    Other regions are all lower than that. Since freight rates are lower in the rest of the country most of the time. They base the regional pays on what freight rates are for those regions. I was Ohio for almost 4 years. Averaged around 2200 for most of that time. Home every weekend.

Ralph4159 and Skydivedavec Thank this.
  9. Ralph4159

Sep 17, 2008
    Albuquerque, New Mexico
    Thanks so much! I really appreciate all the detailed info.

10. seekingwork101

seekingwork101 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Hi Ralph: Be very careful about where you set foot......They'll promise you more than .50 cents per mile. They'll promise you the moon, and more. Wwhat good is it to
    get .50 per mile if you end up sitting, doing nothing.....for at least 40% of the Time? And if you ask for time off or refuse a load for good reason, they'll make you sit for days on end with no loads?
    Count on being home once per month, for 1.5 days. When you are due to come home, they will make you leave the truck at least 50 miles away, making you spend more money on transportation, than needed. What is worse, is that if for whatever reason they start disliking your questions, or your requests, etc., they'll make you leave unable to find work anywhere else. Because any company that you look to get hired in, Heartland will contact to tell them what a horrible employee you where. They will find one minor (non crucial error in your file) to make your departure legal. The results will be the same. Heartland express is very much like a revolving door, in terms of drivers. Read the Truth about Heartland, before you decide.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
    Ralph4159 Thanks this.
  11. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    I have never met a heartland driver that was only home once per month unless by choice. I do not know many at all that make 50 cpm. As I explained, that is a very hard number to get and includes the safety bonus. So you do not see it on a regular paycheck anyway.
    I have never seen anyone sit for refusing to do a load for a good reason. Granted, the good reasons are safety related only. There is no other good reason to ever refuse a load as a company driver anywhere.
    Lying on DAC is not legal. So if they put incorrect information on your DAC you can fight it. When it comes to company's calling to ask about you as a driver, no company in their right mind would ever give much info. Only Yes they worked here, and yes or no if they are subject to rehire. That is about it. Too many lawsuits come from giving more information.
    So I am beginning to think that you are an idiot and that your husband was probably not much of a driver. This is bases totally on some of the BS and baseless information on your posts.
    Heartland could care less where you go when you leave or are fired. No company does. They have 2500 drivers at any time. One former driver is not very relevant and they really would not care.

Oh, another totally inaccurate piece of information. Heartland does not care where you park your truck when you are home. Why the heck would they want you to park it 50 miles away. When I was in NY I parked it wherever I wanted, as long as it was a legal location. Same now in Tampa.

Leftnut and Hippysiam Thank this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.