What is current Heartland pay scale?

Discussion in 'Heartland' started by Ralph4159, Sep 4, 2013.

1. seekingwork101

seekingwork101 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2013
    Here is my reply to ChromeDome regarding my post(s) RE: Heartland Express:

A) If you are a driver presently employed by Heartland Express as a driver, I am happy to see that there is someone happily working for them.
    B) If you are an insider (someone who created a membership on this website), as well as others, for the purpose of being appraised of what drivers are saying about this company, your rebuttal explains it. Personally, I believe this is the one that applies to you.
    C) If you are presently working for them as a recruiter and it sounds to me like you are, I hereby stand by my previous statement when I said that drivers could make .50 cents per mile. In actually, my husband was making .52cpm. And yes, you are correct by stating that such pay scale includes the haz-mat endorsement, plus the safety bonus., etc. Mind you---- in order to get to this pay scale, one's driving record has to be absolutely perfect. There can be no citations, no incidents, no accidents, no previous negative history of any kind. My husband can absolutely make such claim, still to this date. Consequently, "your beginning to think that my husband is NOT much of a driver", factually contradicts your statement. As for you thinking that I am an idiot, it only leads me to believe that you are in fact, an insider. Actually, I don't think I have to guess any longer. You are the main Recruiter for Heartland Express. I now understand....Any person making any negative statements about Heartland Express (EVEN THOUGH THEY ARE TRUE STATEMENTS) will hugely affect or influence your commission. So...Here is what I said to you already on a previous website where drivers get hired by Heartland Express .....Each time that a driver gets hired through you, your negative Karma Increases. You don't believe in Karma? it is the same as saying: You reap what you sowed. The fruits of your tree will NOT grow to be beautiful and healthy---if the seeds that you planted were sick and/or black in nature. Or....If the soil that you planted them in was in the desert, lacking water and all good nutrients.....Such as good moral practices conducive to the retaining of good drivers.....Or....Practices that only benefits Heartland Express to increase shareholder price----What you will get in return is nothing but headaches, and trials and tribulations in the future.

Regarding the situation where drivers sit for days on end as a result of refusing loads, or merely for asking for time off. It sounds to me like you have NOT taken the time to read posts by other drivers.. During the course of almost three years of driving for this company, my husband was told NOT by one driver, or two, but by several drivers-----That Heartland Express uses this tactic on a regular basis. And it didn't happen just to them...

Were I to be in front of a judge, under oath in court, I absolutely would say that such behavior by Heartland Express was a factual tactic. I can also say with a good level of accuracy, that Heartland Express will not route you home on your due date, only and until there is a load which will take you to the direction of your home. If your due home date is on a Friday, for example, and you are 75 miles-----or even 50 miles, you can end up spending your entire weekend in a GOD forsaken place. Just because they don't want to spend money on gas. So....Yes, it was accurate for me to say that the needs of the company at all times, precede the needs of the driver. I was, and I am still accurate in my statement to the effect that you cannot park just anywhere. When you go home, You must park the truck where they tell you to. And if such place happens to be 75 miles away from your home, so be it. As for the DAC, and here I am assuming rather than making a statement, I think as follows: You could be driving for years for Heartland Express, always expressing and/or practicing the same driver behavior. Never at any time before, was the logbook a questionable issue. Your logbook doesn't look much different today, from how it looked.......Let's say eight months ago. Yet, Heartland has to find just one perfect (and it has to be legal) excuse or justification to get rid of you. At the possibility of being called an idiot once again, I can tell you with a good to excellent level of accuracy, that the great majority of drivers do have violations in their logbooks. I submit to you that such is not the only issue at hand here. I also conclude here, by stating that Heartland Express has a great record history as a company with with almost NONE to negligent accidents. But.......How can that be...........? Here is how they have an almost perfect record: Because unless the police shows up to the scene, they don't report their accidents..

If you choose to NOT believe my statements because you are in fact their "Recruiter" Please contact Human Resources and ask to speak with Don J. McGlaughlin ph: 319-626-3350. His email: dmclaughlin@heartlandexpress.com------As well as Jay Courtney and/or Cliff in the Operations Dept., ph: 800-553-1201 or....ph: 800-954-8201 or....800-553-6240. Don't get it from me....Cal them directly, and ask them---If only because I have every intention of continuing to post about their immoral practices, and specifically about the tactics they use to prevent a driver from getting a job somewhere else. Yes.....I do know it is up to the prospective employer, to hire you.... or not!!! Yet.....with an absolutely perfect driving record, with no incidents, no accidents, no negative history of any kind with the law, Heartland contacted potential employers. Based purely on what Heartland told them, He (my husband) was not hired. Imagine what the consequences would be for someone, even with a minor transgression. It is my opinion that these people are NOT to be played with. It is my opinion that they are snakes, that they can and will ruin your life----Not just personally, but also professionally. However, it is NOT just my opinion but a FLAGRANT FACT that one's good driving record for 25 years, one's perfect conduct and perfect driving history-----All will go out the window in less than a day. Based purely on their word. And why do they behave in such an immoral, sickening manner? Because they can....And trust me....They will......There is absolutely NO doubt in my mind now, that you are their main 'Recruiter" I hope you are not selling your soul to the devil.

ChromeDome, I will add here that although you have to make a living, why not do it through people whose actions are based on moral principles.... and NOT purely self serving. I am leaving the best for last. You stated as follows, and this is NOT my writing, but yours:
    "When it comes to company's calling to ask about you as a driver, no company in their right mind would ever give much info. Only Yes they worked here, and yes or not if they are subject to rehire. That is about it. Too many lawsuits come from giving more information."

How I wish you were correct in last statement from you-----and in your assessment!!!! You are so very, very wrong about this. I don't believe that the company or companies that my husband applied to work for, would have lied. Heartland Express did, in fact, submitted (via mail and phone calls) to all those prospective employers, more than the dates of hire and fired. In fact, one of those employers called us on the phone, and told us that due to Heartland Express's phone call to them about my husband, the interviewing process could NOT continue; and that is a fact. my husband was also told he would NOT be considered for employment by said company---as a result of Heartland Express's statements about him. This is something that I, personally know because I took the phone call(s) from this OR THESE prospective employer(s). Your statement regarding this issue, ChromeDome, is therefore based purely on your own PERSONAL ASSUMPTION and NOT based on even one particle of FACTUAL information. Or.....As I stated above, perhaps because you are representing this company? You also made a statement to the effect that Heartland could care less where you go when you leave or are fired, is absolutely correct. What you failed to mention, though, is that Heartland will do their very best to prevent a fired driver from getting hired anywhere else. And that.....Unfortunately, is a FACT You also state: "This is bases (I think you meant based?) totally on some of the BS and baseless information on your posts." I am sorry to say it again, and again.....and again.....What I am saying here is the absolute TRUTH , None of my statements are BS, as you classify them.

To conclude: Alas.....NONE of the information I've posted is incorrect. I wish that were the case. I strongly suggest, ChromeDome, that before you call someone an "idiot", you carefully review and research the lines you are about to post or print----The spit you directed at someone may very well just land on your own face. I believe that is what just happened here. I am so sorry to say.....I cannot and will NOT retract any of the statements I've made either on this website, or others. Reason? Because my statements are based on fact. I urge everyone to get on the phone and call the numbers I've posted. Ask them about any of the statements I've made. See if my statements are true....Or not....As for you, ChromeDome, since you are their mouthpiece, I suggest you go to the writen contract you have with them. Read it not once or twice, but at least half a dozen times. My take on this is that they provided you with information which totally and completely contradict their practices. I wish you well.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
    bulkhauler Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ChromeDome

ChromeDome Road Train Member

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    If you happen to look back in my post history over more than the past 4 years, you would see that I have been posting here as I worked for several company's.
    I still say that it does not make any since. Why would heartland or any other company care where you go when you are no longer working for them? That is just a stupid idea, and I cannot see any company wasting their time trying to mess up the life of a former employee.

I will agree on some of the bathroom statements though. The Carlisle, Chester, and Columbus terminal showers are not in top shape. Columbus is not too bad in the morning, but even then it is just mopped up not clean. The guy they pay to clean at night does almost nothing.
    I have sat for what I considered to be way too long waiting to pick up a load. It was always from one of two contracts. Where first available trucks in the area got those loads. Even if they had 10 more than would come in later that it would work better for. Just how they do things. Nothing to do with if a driver refused a load.
    I was out of Columbus for over 3 years, just now swapped out. I refused a few loads where I had been up all day and there was no way I could run. So I had to wait for another. In Columbus that means you may wait for the next night, since most of the freight is night runs. That is not sitting for refusing, that is a logistics issue.

For going around tolls. It is a pain. The only time it is really an issue though is in western PA when they have you go to say Somerset from Toledo with no tolls. It is a fairly straight route on a map, but way out of the way time wise.
    When going around the Ohio and Indiana tolls it is all on good roads. Yea, you loose some miles, but it is not dangerous in anyway.
    These were some of the observations that I took as idiotic. And some of the overall tone that your posts present of a whining wife that really knows nothing of the industry or how things work. Which is why you are posting what he related to you, and not him posting.

I could honestly care less if you want to rant on heartland, but at least do it on things that are realistic and make some sort of since. Not this whole thing about them having a vendetta against your husbands future employment. Heck, did you ever think that maybe what they told the other company recruiters is that you don't want to hire him because his wife is crazy and calling all the time?
    My wife would never in a million years call operations at heartland. If she did she would be out the door. My work is not her business. Her work is not my business.
    And do I believe that you proved any of my comments to be incorrect? Nope
    Is heartland the company for everyone? Nope
    Is it the right company for some? Yup

Leftnut Thanks this.
  4. jlind

jlind Heavy Load Member

Dec 21, 2010
    Nature coast, Fl.
    WOW, so much drama...

My friend parks his truck right outside his apartment complex, never been told where he could park other then "park in a safe place"! works as hard as he seems to want to, does he have good and bad weeks/experiences??? Heck yeah, it is after all TRUCKING!!! Not every driver gets the best miles, from Heartland or anyone else, there are more trucks and drivers sitting every day because of just in time freight, the need for a driver to always be available creates an environment where all companies over hire to be able to accommodate their customers, this creates the lower mileage dilemma that most people complain about... None of this will change anytime soon, get used to it...

I can't say whether Heartland tells prospective employers incorrect info but I do know that if they do then they can be held accountable for LIBEL, if indeed your husband is as perfect as you profess and never had any issues with them, why did he leave there??? In this environment when one has a job I would think it's better to keep it then to leave without having a replacement first, just my humble opinion...

In Florida where I live it is a right to work state and any employer can let you go without cause, as well it should be. In trucking there are so many easy ways to for a company to get rid of someone but being vindictive??? I can't imagine why they would waste time and resources on such a silly endeavor, but again, I have never worked for Heartland or any other Mega carrier for that matter so I can not make any statement of fact on how they operate...

Oh well, I guess there is no perfect company out there, probably good to remember when searching, and reading blogs... Seekingwork, here's to hoping your husband finds his perfect company, and to chromedome, continued success with Heartland as it seems to be working for you!!!

seekingwork101 Thanks this.
  5. seekingwork101

seekingwork101 Bobtail Member

Jul 13, 2013
    No....Heartland Express out of North Liberty, Iowa.

6. HappyHardCore

HappyHardCore Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    I was making 48 cents per mile when we parted ways, so I know you can make that much. So its no issue on what they give you for pay.

But what don't they give?

They don't pay for tolls, so you'll have to drive out of route without pay for it.

Forced fuel at terminals as much as possible. This means no truck stop shower tickets, so you'll be paying $9+ for showers.

They don't like to give you home time either. You'll be about a day away from home with no freight going towards the house. For example, you can be in NJ and they have no freight at all going west (really, huh?). Got doctors appointment? Well they don't care about that either. If your lucky enough to get home once a month, it'll probably be for 12 hours since your forced to take a load home which dictates when you go back to work due to the appointment.

Ok, back to money. Whatever good pay per mile you get, will lose money from lack of miles, paying tolls, and paying for showers. In the end you'll make 'average' as what other drivers out there are making. Sure, as with every company, they have their pet drivers that are given all the good runs, and then use those drivers as example how every driver could make $80k/year, but yeah we could all win a lotto maybe some day too.

7. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    Some of that has changed, much of it before I started with them 4 years ago.
    Most fuel is at Pilot and Loves. Some at terminal, but mostly not.
    System drivers have ezpass, regional drivers in the Northeast and Ohio regions have ezpass. They do not pay for Ohio or Indiana tolls ever. And if you take it even on your own dime they sometimes complain.
    Home time depends on your dispatcher and what you are running, if system I hear getting home can be like pulling teeth. In ohio region I was home almost every weekend, and my dispatcher could get me home for a Friday or Monday if needed, But it was not something that I wanted unless headed out for a long weekend. Normally home time was Sat morning till Monday morning.
    80k a year? maybe a few people. But I don't think they have had any or many over 70 in a few years. And most of their high end claims now are in the 60s which is possible for a system driver with good dispatch easy.

8. HappyHardCore

HappyHardCore Light Load Member

Mar 19, 2007
    Good to hear their drivers can finally fuel more at the truck stops and they pay for tolls.

Yeah, System was pulling teeth for home time.

9. ChromeDome

Jun 10, 2007
    Lakeland, FL
    And since we started getting prostars almost 4 years ago, all the trucks have come with power windows, door locks and mirriors. And the newer ones have bunk heaters. The new freighliners do not, they have opti idle and 1500w inverters though. And newer internationals are all getting inverters installed. Still cannot have your own, but the company is putting in some.
    Still single bunk trucks, but the storage space has gotten allot better.

10. darknessesedge

darknessesedge Medium Load Member

Jul 8, 2013
    52 cpm after 7 yrs is what the recruiter told me

11. GreyHound

GreyHound Medium Load Member

Jul 31, 2013
    I have a bridge for sale. Its cheap and you can make a lot of money on tolls. You want it???

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.