What is important to you in a driving job?

Discussion in 'Experienced Truckers' Advice' started by MercuryLine, Oct 6, 2021.

1. MercuryLine

MercuryLine Light Load Member

Oct 4, 2019
    Southern California
    100% agree with you. But @Midwest Trucker is right- when times are tough and the loads are crappy, the driver also suffers. I remember April 2020 when covid finally bulldozed down the freight market for a bit and loads were paying less than a dollar a mile sometimes. In those times, its better for a driver to be paid per mile rather than % of the load. Lots to consider here!

Coffey Thanks this.
  2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Shackdaddy

Shackdaddy Medium Load Member

Aug 5, 2021
    I’d like a brand new truck, no cameras,no touch freight, home every night, with a $500 day guarantee along with free tickets to the Super Bowl, oh yeah and 8 weeks paid vacation. I also insist on a 2 hour a day paid lunch.

No I’m just kidding. But seriously no cameras, good steady pay $1800-$2500 week. And decent equipment. That and respect for the driver goes a long way.

MercuryLine and Coffey Thank this.
  4. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    Yea that make sense idk what type of trailer you gonna pull but there is a reason a majority of van company pays cpm

MercuryLine Thanks this.
  5. rbrtwbstr

rbrtwbstr Road Train Member

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

Hey I'll bite! Ill buy you a new 389 flat top, something with 650 hp or so, and all the lights you care to keep after. And I'll give you the 6 days a month off too!

But you only get paid 35 cpm. And health insurance is $180 a week for the family.

So, when ya starting?:D

Coffey Thanks this.
  6. Coffey

Coffey Heavy Load Member

May 14, 2019
    How much will you pay me to drive that old pos out back then?

7. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere
    Just a company driver - a local guy at that. But- if I were considering going back OTR again:

1. Good reliable equipment. Doesn't have to be new, just well maintained. And when I call and say something needs attention, I want it done.

2. Fair pay. Preferably CPM, probably 55-60 cpm. Along with accessory pay.

3. At this stage in my life, if it's not on a flatbed, then I don't touch it.

4. I go home when I've had enough. Meaning no 'earned home time'. I simply tell you when I wanna get home, and when I'll be available again. With limits of course, otherwise some would take advantage of that.

5. Open door to management. When there's an issue, I don't wanna screw around with a middle man.

6. Absolutely no driver facing camera, or crash mitigation junk. (I had the unfortunate displeasure of dealing with the early VORAD crap and it's continuous beeping) So there will be no beep beep crap in the cab..

7. DOT physical at MY doctor. Not some clinic that has no idea who I am or what my health situation is. This is important!

I'm in good health, but a few years ago I went to the company's preferred clinic for a physical. They told me I was obese and needed a sleep study. I'm 5'6" and I was 165 pounds at the time. I told them to piss off, went to the family doctor and he laughed when I explained what I was told.

8. Full benefits package. 401k, health, eye, and dental insurance at no cost or a reasonable cost.

9. If I have a family emergency, I hop a plane and get home asap.

8. rbrtwbstr

Jul 11, 2012
    in the bush somewhere

Oh for that you get $.45 cpm and a good luck charm to hang on the sun visor.:p

Coffey Thanks this.
  9. Dockbumper

Dockbumper Road Train Member

Apr 29, 2020
    Just went up to $69.00 on October 1st

MercuryLine Thanks this.
  10. MercuryLine

Oct 4, 2019
    Southern California
    So many employers seem to forget the respect aspect, yet they dont realize that without the driver, they have no company.

Shackdaddy Thanks this.
  11. MercuryLine

Oct 4, 2019
    Southern California
    I am currently between a Dry Van and a Reefer :)

Coffey Thanks this.
  • Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.