What is load shedding?

Discussion in 'International Forum' started by chevyluver, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Like the others have said, load shedding is a battery power saver. When the body controller sees 12.1 volts or less it will cut off non-essential circuits to save the batteries from going dead. How long before load shedding kicks in is obviously up to how much electrical usage is taking place versus the battery health and state of charge. Load shedding doesn't necessarily mean something is wrong with your truck. It is perfectly normal for it to kick in after a prolong period without the engine running. If you find it is kicking in quicker and quicker then battery and/or electrical system diagnostics need to be done.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. ServantofGod777

ServantofGod777 Bobtail Member

Mar 14, 2018
    My truck does the same thing and one weekend when I was home, I had nothing plugged in or turned on and two days later, I had to have my truck jump-started because the batteries completed died. Took it to the Shop and the mechanic claimed there was nothing wrong with the Batteries, but every night I get woke up in the middle of the night and have to start the truck when this Alarm beeps. How does a Truck Driver get the required sleep when she is woke up 3 times in the middle of the night by this Alarm beeping?

4. ServantofGod777

Mar 14, 2018
    Isn't the APU supposed to prevent the batteries from losing voltage?

5. ServantofGod777

Mar 14, 2018
    I was running my APU and every 4 to 5 hours, I get woke up by this Alarm beeping and there's a reading on my Dash Panel that says Load Shedding. Is this normal when running the APU?
    I'm losing sleep every night because I have to turn off my APU and start my truck up 2 or 3 times during my 10 hour Sleeper Break.

6. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Depends how your APU is installed and wired. Some are totally separate systems and not tied into the truck electrical at all.

7. Jonsered

Jonsered Bobtail Member

Jun 10, 2017
    I am running a 2013 Prostar and that thing sheds a load pretty fast. The last 2 freightliners I drove I could run the computer, charge stuff and run lunchbox oven and not shed a load before 12 hours.
    I don't have an APU.
    Is there a better battery I can use to get a longer discharge time before recharging?

8. Heavyd

Heavyd Road Train Member

Feb 4, 2009
    Get batteries with a LOWER CCA such as 700 or 750 because they have more reserve capacity than higher cold crank amp batteries.

DreDrizzy Thanks this.
  9. earnies2

earnies2 Medium Load Member

May 17, 2012
    Dedham, MA.
    I have 4 AGM batteries and s TK APU can I disconnect the load shedding option, is it neccessary with an apu I also have a 30 amp inboard charger I plug the truck in at home so I don't have to turn off my fridge or cooler?

10. Cruisingkid

Cruisingkid Bobtail Member

Sep 20, 2019

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.