what is mays top pay?

Discussion in 'May Trucking' started by my_jpw, Dec 30, 2008.

1. squaredeal

squaredeal Bobtail Member

Dec 19, 2009
    Phoenix AZ
    ??????!!!!!! Phooey

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Lynette1

Lynette1 Bobtail Member

Nov 9, 2010
    sandy, utah
    Hello,
    My son is almost finishing his schooling for trucking. He said that someone from May trucking is coming to their school to show the students what they have to offer.
    Where can I get an unbiased assessment of trucking companies?
    I have read other people writing about companies and they say horrible stuff about their experience with the companies. It seems like its hard to really figure out if these comments are for real, or if someone is just trying to ruin other companies.
    Any advise?
    Thanks.

4. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az

Lynette - Hi my name is Trucker Steve nice to meet you, well virtually that is. :) I can not speak on behalf of others. Getting a fair assessment can be a challenge as most drivers are emotionally driven to their decisions. Not being fair in their own assessments of a trucking company usually due to their own lack of knowledge.

If you have any specific questions about trucking please ask! I can say a "driver" with the right attitude, understanding of trucking and the ability to manage himself, who carries himself with respect can manage a successful career at any company!

Look forward to hearing form you.

Trucker Steve!

5. navyshooter

navyshooter Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Gresham, OR
    Hi all, goin to throw my .02c in for what its worth. When I first subcribed to this thread, I was still working overseas and considering going back to long haul driving when I returned to the real world. Well, I did, and I'm with May. Have been since August. All in all, gotta say there are a lot worse ways to go. All companies will have strengths and weaknesses, but all in all, this is a good Co. to work for, IMHO. They will keep you moving steady, very understanding about situations that pop up out here, painless and fairly quick orientation. Their starting pay is a bit higher than average. I'd been away from driving for 2 1/2 years, but they started me at .34 cpm straight away. I mainly went to them since they are based in OR, my home state, and they offer 11 western running, which I enjoy. I was 48 state before. Really good about time off. LOTS of drop n hook freight, good miles. About the only negatives are paperless logs, which aren't as bad as I thought they'd be, and fuel issues. At first, they were a little stingy with fuel, even ran me out once, but to be fair, that has improved A LOT since. Their lease purchase program is fair, and the Co. trucks are spec'd out better than any I've ever seen or heard of. Yes, they are slow for top speed, but still great pulling power in the hills. All in all, I think you could do a lot worse. Sorry for the long post, just thought some good info should be put out.
    Jim

genjock and Ride-On Thank this.
  6. Trucker Steve

Trucker Steve Medium Load Member

Nov 9, 2008
    Phoenix az
    Jim - Great post, very valuable information for those looking to come to may trucking company! My story with may is quite amazing, The love and support they have showed me goes beyond words. Maybe one day I will try to write a post to share my story. Take care all and be safe!

7. navyshooter

navyshooter Bobtail Member

Jun 27, 2009
    Gresham, OR
    Well, here's an update. Will be leaving May next week. Not because of them, going back overseas for work. Everything from my last post still stands, really have no major complaints. Minor gripes (no pets being the biggest) and they don't offer the lease program to OR. residents, which is really the fault of the state, not May. After it was explained why they don't lease to OR residents, I fully understand. If I was going to remain in the states as a company driver, I'd retire from them probably.
    I don't take much time off, but if I want to take a day or two when I have a load going to Oregon, and I haven't requested time off, I usally get it right then, or within a day or two. If I put in for time off, I can bank on it. Even had to take two extra days off during hunting season due to bad weather (and not bagging anything right away lol), and it was no problem at all.
    Take care all, keep the shiny side up, etc....

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.