What is suppose to happen if the ELD stops functioning?

Discussion in 'ELD Forum | Questions, Answers and Reviews' started by Mrlanza, Aug 19, 2018.

1. Mrlanza

Mrlanza Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Redstone Arsenal, Al
    When I last drove, the qualcomm system in my truck died which required me to switch to paper logs. Fortunately, I was able to have my logs faxed to me and was able to complete a 34, so I could start fresh on paper. However, an ELD malfunction will not always occur during the best of situations.

It seems like there would be problems suddenly switching from Elogs to paper. While Elog systems update every minute, paper logs update every
    15 minutes but can be rounded up or down to the nearest 15.

What would you do if this occured during the middle of the day?
    What if it happened during the driving or on duty line?
    How would you calculate your recap on paper that includes non roundable Elog status times?

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. Justrucking2

Justrucking2 Road Train Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Plymouth MI
    I would just grab the paper and start recording on that. As far as the recap, no clue unless your company can tell you what was last recorded, or you remember what it was at the beginning of the day. If not, just take a best guess estimate and carry on.

brian991219 and fargonaz Thank this.
  4. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Why do you guys make this so complicated?

You go to paper, and you call the company to report the failure, get your last couple days and also get a summary of the recap which they can pull up.

Pumpkin Oval Head, Bank_Lbr and mpd240 Thank this.
  5. x1Heavy

x1Heavy Road Train Member

Mar 5, 2016
    White County, Arkansas
    IF the ELD burned up (And it should.. such evils in the sight of god broad light of day. Little wonder why it should combust)

You go back to Paper Logging. Maintain a paper recap going back 9 days so you can very easily and QUICKLY transfer.

LGarrison and Timin770 Thank this.
  6. Mrlanza

Mrlanza Light Load Member

Jul 29, 2018
    Redstone Arsenal, Al
    So the DOT wouldn't have an issue with the logs being inaccurate because you had to round up or down on each line while converting from electronic to paper?

7. Rickp

Rickp Heavy Load Member

Apr 14, 2016
    Ward, AR
    If the elog is down they wont know there is a difference in the rounding. You just have to run the rest of your day based on the paper.

8. Ridgeline

Ridgeline Road Train Member

Dec 18, 2011
    Michigan
    Again you guys are making it complicated.

9. Makeajump

Makeajump Medium Load Member

Apr 19, 2014
    Texas
    Before there was ELD, there was paper logs & bic pens......I can still remember.....

x1Heavy Thanks this.
  10. deathB4decaf

deathB4decaf Medium Load Member

Jan 10, 2018
    The drivers at my company still keep paper records because they are worried about a malfunction and not knowing when they started. We did have 1 malfunction incident and the driver already kept record so there were no issues. Turned out the issue was only the screen on the device and it was still recording. His paper matched his electronic and all was well with the world.

Bank_Lbr and x1Heavy Thank this.
  11. trees

trees Road Train Member

Jun 29, 2010
    Is this what it's come to?? Worrying about a 7 minute discrepancy??

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.