What is the benefit or difference?

Discussion in 'Con-Way' started by DenaliDad, Sep 21, 2011.

1. TJTexas

TJTexas Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Well, Im not sure where you are Denali but I see Truckload rigs all the time on 75 south of Taylor, near the Ambassador Bridge and heading down 94. Taylor is our Canadian gateway. All loads to Canada go thru there, so if you come work for us, I can guarantee you will see the Detroit area often.

2. Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.

3. TJTexas

TJTexas Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I know Truckload teams also go to many of the Conway Freight terminals in the area also.

4. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Westside, near Grand Rapids.

5. TJTexas

TJTexas Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2011
    I'm just getting started, so I have no idea how often we get over there. You might want to ask some of the more experienced Conway drivers on here.

I do know that if youre more than 50 miles from the terminal you can take your truck home on hometime.

You just have to have a safe place to park it, permission from someone like a store manager and approval from the safety dept. Also, there are limited spots at some Conway Freight terminals, which you would coordinate thru your fleet manager.

Just keep in mind it has to be large enough for a full rig. Bobtailing is discouraged.

6. ECU51

ECU51 Heavy Load Member

Conway Freight is the LTL
    Conway Truckload is all 53 ft(truckload)
    We are to separate companies under the same Corp

The program you two are talking about refers to Conway Truckload,which is a 48 state illregular route company

The two companies are not "interchangeable" we do run some of their freight,but for the most part we run as a separate company

If you got more specific ?'s i will answer any and all,Ive been here 10 years,and was a finisher,,good luck!

Starlifter141 Thanks this.
  7. DenaliDad

DenaliDad Retired Wheel Dog

Right, so if I see many CWF trucks and no CWTL trucks in my area, does it mean that CWTL has no presence here? And if I work for CWTL, will the CWF resources - like parking lots and such - be available for my car and/or my truck? Or are they really that "separate?"

8. TJTexas

TJTexas Bobtail Member

Sep 22, 2011
    Like I said above Denali, CWTL drivers may park at CWF terminals for home time on a case-by-case basis if space is available. Your fleet manager has to arrange it for you.

If you can't park at a CWF terminal, you can use any safe location with permission of the property owner(or store manager for a shopping center/truck stop) and CWTL. Again, you arrange that thru your fleet manager.

As for secure parking, Grand Rapids to Taylor isn't that long of a drive. I know we have several drivers that do it. That way you could just leave your car, go to work, then leave the truck in the yard when you go home.

Also like I said above, CWTL does do linehaul(terminal-to-terminal) work for CWF. Whether you get CWF runs depends on a lot of variables. With the holiday busy season approaching, I'd say there's a good chance you'd see loads of some sort thru the house.

DenaliDad Thanks this.
  9. HAMADOWN

HAMADOWN Light Load Member

Mar 14, 2011
    DETROIT, MI
    i am considering this school in the next two weeks, how is it?

10. Wharf Rat

Wharf Rat Light Load Member

May 2, 2011
    Bridgeville, DE
    I got my license at a mill, and did the Crowder Boot Camp. If I had to do it again, I'd pay the money to go to Crowder in a heartbeat. I've heard iffy things about the Detroit school graduates, but that's also depending on your experience and what you get out of it. We had crappy drivers in our mill too.
    Boot camp will weed you out if you can't make the grade....we had two that didn't go on from there, one was given a choice to retake the week, but he chose to go elsewhere.
    Crowder is well worth the money...the grounds, rooms, food, equipment, instructors, etc. are all excellent.

Welcome, and good luck.

• Truckers Report Jobs

Trucking Jobs in 30 seconds

Every month 400 people find a job with the help of TruckersReport.